The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 4 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 3 Post By mridenour
  • 3 Post By rusty 54
  • 5 Post By andrew_rigsby
  • 1 Post By keithsz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching my FUTURE father in-law tomorrow...

So tomorrow I am giving my future father in-law his first fly fishing lesson in the front yard. We are fly fishing out west a bit this summer in Yellowstone and I wanted to get him some practice before we are one the river. We plan to have a trip or two before we go but nothing like learning in the front yard. I am self taught mainly, although it has been a long road for me to say I have a confident casting ability, I have never taught anyone. Just popping in to see if anyone has any good tips I should give him as a beginner
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching my FUTURE father in-law tomorrow...

Only had two Father in Laws, both exceptional men, both were named "Ward." One worked with his hands, give him a pile of scrap and he could build you a 'Battleship.' The other could figure out how to finance the build.

Sorry here, but dead tired and mind is not all that much in gear. How to teach? You start with a campfire, and maybe a large quaff of a single malt. One Ward was a Bourbon man.

'Soooo, what are your plans for my Daughter's future?'

'I'm going to take damned good care of her. And I'm going to start you out with a 5wt fly rod.'

'Good answer, where's the bottle?'

Both of those were real conversations, and took about that long. Neither ever purchased a fly rod.

fae

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

It might make it a little easier if you both watched a casting video together first. He would get an overview of what's ahead, and you would get an outline to teach from. Then get outside and practice and reinforce what the video showed.
Lots of good videos available right here on the forum
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew: Siege made a good point. Here is a very good YouTube video done by TightLines fly shop, the instructor Tim Landwehr does an excellent job, this is part 1. I think it is a two part video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLfJBTctA4Q

Best of luck with the casting instruction and your trip to YNP this summer!

Larry
waterfordcreek and siege like this.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Hmm, never fished with my father-in-law. He would never have been a good fly-fisherman. Won't listen to anyone about anything. Still, sometimes he gives me fishing advice even though he hasn't wet a line of any kind in at least 30 years. I can't recall anyone teaching him anything...ever. He's not a very happy man.

I hope you can have something in common with your soon-to-be father-in-law. I used to have that with my former son-in-law. That's a long story. Just make the most out of each day and if you are lucky enough to be able to fish together, just all over it.

I'm feeling kind of sad all of a sudden. Better stop typing.
mcnerney, siege and smilingduck like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I dabbled in fly fishing before my daughter brought some guy home with her and decided to marry him. He really got me into fly fishing. He was self taught and showed me the basics. We both attended some schools so we are on the same page. We've turned out to be each other's main fishing partners.

I would suggest that you do the same. Show him the basics, then get some lessons together. It can be hard to teach family.

A campfire and booze wouldn't hurt either.
mcnerney, mridenour and siege like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

To all who are wondering, today went better than ever! Although it was in the pouring down rain lol we got a good 45 minutes of practice in. He is an avid golfer and his previous knowledge and experience with instruction really made teaching him a breeze. He picked his form up very quickly and was able to become quite self conscious about his form. Now he is exciting to go out to the river soon! Thanks to all of you who helped suggest videos and such, they really paid off!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

Just don't stand close behind him and cast his rod while he is holding, in order to get the feel.
Could be awkward.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Consider the Sexyloops App. They have it for IOS and Android I believe. The initial lesson, what your father-in-law would need, is free I think. If you have to buy it, it's only $2.

It would be a good start for him and some really good review for you, especially if you've never taken any lessons before.

They also offer more advanced lessons on a variety of casts. Each lesson is $2, with a total cost of $12 I think. You may find it helpful to improve what you are already doing or even learn some new casts.

Hope this helps,

Todd

--Irish Blessing