The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The basics of a double haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaxl View Post
It seems as good as time as any to make my first post, well here goes i'm trying to learn the the double haul to speed up my line speed an beat the wind i've been dealing with. I have encountered a problem though, on my backcast when i make the first haul (generally to around my left waist pocket) i have trouble getting the line to feed back out the tip of the rod; so i can start my 2nd haul but the line is still slack a little bit so i cant make it without reaching well below my preferred area. And i am wondering if anyone with more skill than I can give me some advice as to how to fix my little problem. Thanks.
Wow, that's nearly exactly what I was having trouble with before I got hands on help. And you describe where my problem was coming from!!

Simply, your first haul is too long and you're asking for too much line to feed back out before starting the forward cast. Just shorten that first pull down to a foot, but don't let it get slow, a real snappy fast pull. Now it'll feed back out and the slack that's killing you at the beginning of the forward cast won't be there. (Use the same short fast pull forward.)

That's what worked for me, hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

wbaxl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
Wow, that's nearly exactly what I was having trouble with before I got hands on help. And you describe where my problem was coming from!!

Simply, your first haul is too long and you're asking for too much line to feed back out before starting the forward cast. Just shorten that first pull down to a foot, but don't let it get slow, a real snappy fast pull. Now it'll feed back out and the slack that's killing you at the beginning of the forward cast won't be there. (Use the same short fast pull forward.)

That's what worked for me, hope this helps.
James, after I watched that video and figured a quick tug was what I needed to do I can do it preety easily now. But im trying to improve to pulling down to my waist instead of a couple inches past my reel, just so its more effective and worth my while if im gonna do it. Thanks
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

You're really hindering yourself if the line is dirty or sticky. Having the mass of a lot of line out and good momentum from a good and proper acceleration and stop will go a long way toward easing the pain of learning the double haul. Believe it or not pantomiming the actions without a rod in your hand helps too as does visualizing the perfect cast but with that you might need to do a few perfect casts to be able to visualize it.
What wjc said is spot-on too about the sideways, lay down cast. That also works very well to help with the timing needed to haul late in the cast. I tell people not to haul until the rod has passed their 12:00 or halfway in the stroke. Once you have that down slowly tweak the haul to even later in the stroke.
One of the biggest errors that, though not catastrophic, can ugly-up the cast is starting the haul when you start the stroke. I think it's popular because it feels so intuitive and takes away a big part of the timing issue.
Good luck with the journey!