The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 06:22 PM

wbaxl is on a distinguished road
Default The basics of a double haul

It seems as good as time as any to make my first post, well here goes i'm trying to learn the the double haul to speed up my line speed an beat the wind i've been dealing with. I have encountered a problem though, on my backcast when i make the first haul (generally to around my left waist pocket) i have trouble getting the line to feed back out the tip of the rod; so i can start my 2nd haul but the line is still slack a little bit so i cant make it without reaching well below my preferred area. And i am wondering if anyone with more skill than I can give me some advice as to how to fix my little problem. Thanks.
mridenour likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:33 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The basics of a double haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaxl View Post
It seems as good as time as any to make my first post, well here goes i'm trying to learn the the double haul to speed up my line speed an beat the wind i've been dealing with. I have encountered a problem though, on my backcast when i make the first haul (generally to around my left waist pocket) i have trouble getting the line to feed back out the tip of the rod; so i can start my 2nd haul but the line is still slack a little bit so i cant make it without reaching well below my preferred area. And i am wondering if anyone with more skill than I can give me some advice as to how to fix my little problem. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum!

Practice , Practice , Practice

Have you checked youtube for demonstrations & tips?

Paul
Hardyreels likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

The Double Haul made simple:

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

YOu may not believe this, but your problem can probably be solved by working more on loop size and control than trying to add a haul. The reason you can't get the line to "feed out" and pull against you on the back cast is because you aren't getting sufficient line speed, or your loop is wide and catching wind, or several other minor items SilverCreek can probably point out.

IF you work on a good, hard stop on the back cast and ensure that your loop is tight, the line going backwards will move more quickly and will naturally provide more "pull" and it will be easier to add a haul to add more line speed at that point -- don't use the haul to cover up underlying casting issues.

don't ask me how I know this......

I used to think that hauling and shooting line were "goals", but I now consider them natural consequences (secondary) of a good basic fly cast.
timd and slowdown like this.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

Listen to Mel "updown" one word. Practice without the rod in your hands till you get it.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
This.

I was stuck on the single haul and just couldn't get the timing of the double haul till I saw this video.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM

wbaxl is on a distinguished road

Well I watched the video "flyfisher for men" posted and watching the man do the quick tug on the line was what I was missing. So for the most part I can do a double haul consistently, however as "turbineblade" posted I need to work on my backcast as I cant get a tight loop out of it like I can my forward cast. So the consensus is that I need to stop harder on my back cast for tight loop, right? Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I think Turbine hit it on the head. You need relatively tight loops on the backcast traveling fast enough that you can feel the line tension in your line hand.

It also helps to have a pretty good amount of line out the tip.

To make it easier on yourself, you can cast sideways so you can easily watch the loop (feet parallel to the direction of the cast). And only do half the cast with a haul, in other words, lay down the back cast immediately after picking up the line off the grass or water. Feed line back into the backcast after the haul for the laydown.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaxl View Post
Well I watched the video "flyfisher for men" posted and watching the man do the quick tug on the line was what I was missing. So for the most part I can do a double haul consistently, however as "turbineblade" posted I need to work on my backcast as I cant get a tight loop out of it like I can my forward cast. So the consensus is that I need to stop harder on my back cast for tight loop, right? Thanks
The harder stop will provide the needed line speed, loop control is all about practice with the amount your rod tip drops on the cast -- The straighter your tip tracks, generally the tighter the loop. Work with very short lengths of line and false cast until your loops look the SAME forward and backward....not a decent forward loop followed by wide, crappy back loops like I used to do .

Tight loops with good line speed will "jump" the line out of your rod guides and you won't have to worry about the other things...they'll come naturally.

In SW I use a lot of hauling and use it for loop stability, line speed, and to take some effort off my casting arm.....and it adds distance, etc. For trout fishing with light, flex rods (like a TFO finesse) I tend to only use short hauls for loop control because I don't need distance, and am often making slack line casts.....don't worry about those yet -- get better, than learn to cast crappy again....lol. For small streams I might not haul but once every few casts or so, and maybe only a single haul on the backcast or something. I do a lot more roll casting though --

I guess hauling requires some coordination that you must learn, but shooting line is IMO purely a result of good casting -- nothing more.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I'm not any kind of model caster, but this is me false casting a short-med length of line using a double haul. Since both loops are reasonably tight, the line already wants to "pull" in either direction and me adding a pull (haul) adds a little line speed and takes the word off my casting arm. This is a 9' 5-weight rod with a basic 5WF line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7gJoORYrA

If you can double haul a 2-weight, DT fly line on a flexy fly rod -- I'll tip my hat to you!
paddy5 likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

One small tip, assuming you are casting RH. Put your righ foot slightly back, feet shoulder width apart. This lets you snap forward from the hip and gives a bit of extra ummph without ape arming the rod. It really is a natural motion, just a bit of roll with the right leg/hip in tune with rthe right shoulder. Nothing violent, just the upper plane of your body moving toghther.