The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Fly Line Differance (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/35103-fly-line-differance.html)

bass_man 08-05-2010 08:20 PM

Fly Line Differance

I fish mostly for LM Bass I will be using a St. Croix Ultra Lite Legend 7wt. 9'6" rod. I have a 9wt with Scientific Anglers Mystery Bass line and it made a big improvement in my casting and even shooting line, I think it was the beat $70 bucks I ever spent on fly gear. Now I'm at a cross road do I stay with the Mystery bass line on my 7wt or try the Shark Skin 7wt line every thing I read about it is good. The only negative thing I heard about it is the coating is hard on your fingers when stripping line. I would like to know if any of you have tried both of these lines and what is your opinion about them is. I use mostly dry fly's and streamers . I would just hate to spend $100 bucks and not like the line.

mojo 08-05-2010 08:48 PM

Re: Fly Line Differance

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_man (Post 120006)
I fish mostly for LM Bass I will be using a St. Croix Ultra Lite Legend 7wt. 9'6" rod. I have a 9wt with Scientific Anglers Mystery Bass line and it made a big improvement in my casting and even shooting line, I think it was the beat $70 bucks I ever spent on fly gear. Now I'm at a cross road do I stay with the Mystery bass line on my 7wt or try the Shark Skin 7wt line every thing I read about it is good. The only negative thing I heard about it is the coating is hard on your fingers when stripping line. I would like to know if any of you have tried both of these lines and what is your opinion about them is. I use mostly dry fly's and streamers . I would just hate to spend $100 bucks and not like the line.

Who ever told you that the SS was hard on your fingers is a girly man. I love SS, but that's me.

MoscaPescador 08-05-2010 09:04 PM

If you are used to a 9 weight Mastery Bass line, you may want to stay with a 9 weight line. It seems that you need the extra grain mass to throw your bass flies. If you want a Sharkskin line, choose the Magnum Taper. It is a beautiful casting line. Its taper helps turnover larger wind resistant flies.

If you are worried about the Sharkskin texture being abrasive, you can always wear stripping finger sleeves, or you can wrap your fingers in athletic tape.

MP

driftless 08-06-2010 07:34 PM

I have used, and have both lines you mention in your post. Both are very good lines. As to the comment regarding sharkskin being hard on your fingers I will say that yes it will cut your skin over time if you do a lot of stripping ie. long hours of streamer fishing. I spent three days casting streamers in the Driftless region here this past fall with a sharkskin on my 5wt. I don't consider myself a girly man fishing well over 100 days a season all 12 months of the year, and making my primary living as a journeyman mechanic in an industrial setting. If one fishes primarily dries or only fishes a few hours per outing I doubt that he/she will notice a problem with the abrasive nature of the line but if one were to spend 8-10 hours fishing streamers aggressively he might want to do as Mosca suggests.
IMHO, I would use the mastery bass and put the money you save toward something else.

Regards,
Don

bass_man 08-06-2010 08:25 PM

Hey Don
You have used both lines it's not so much the 30 bucks, but do you feel that the SS is a better line then the Bass Bug line as far as shooting line and casting with out a lot of false casting. Your opinion means a lot to me being you have used the both lines.
Thanks
Mike

driftless 08-06-2010 09:17 PM

Mike,
I do personally believe that the Sharkskin seems to shoot better. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Regards,
Don

wjc 08-09-2010 11:59 AM

I would check the head lengths of each of the two lines, and if there is a big difference, you may not want to change.

I bought two Sharkskin "salt water" lines when the local shop was selling them for $35 each. But I got them for visiting friends to use, and have not tried them myself.

Cheers,
Jim