The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Why is my leader tangling on forward cast? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/351255-why-my-leader-tangling-forward-cast.html)

a.steeves 05-16-2014 09:17 AM

Why is my leader tangling on forward cast?

I am having trouble with the last part of my cast. Some times on my last forward motion of the cast my leader get tangled in my fly line. It looks as though my fly is lower than my fly line and as the loop straightens the fly comes up and tangles in the fly line what am I doing wrong?

I am cast a 9" wt rod with floating line on a 9" leader

Any help is much appreciated!
Adam

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Rip Tide 05-16-2014 09:35 AM

Re: Why is my leader tangling on forward cast?

That's called a "tailing loop". Most of the time it's caused by over-powering the cast.

Tailing Loops - description and cure

labradorguy 05-16-2014 09:46 AM

Maybe starting the forward cast too quickly? Try going out on the lawn and casting. Do your back cast and don't come forward till the line lays out on the grass. If you do this for a bit with that extended pause when the line is straight, it will get you back to thinking about timing and pausing at the end of the stroke. Gradually speed up to a regular cast and you'll be back in business. That's what I do anyway... :D

Flyfisher for men 05-16-2014 09:48 AM

Agreed. Sounds like a tailing loop.

silver creek 05-16-2014 11:37 AM

Here are three discussions about tailing loops and how to correct them:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...back-line.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...e-crazy-3.html

Any thoughts on a casting issue? - Fly Fishing - Fly Tying

troutnut4 05-16-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.steeves (Post 667959)
I am having trouble with the last part of my cast. Some times on my last forward motion of the cast my leader get tangled in my fly line. It looks as though my fly is lower than my fly line and as the loop straightens the fly comes up and tangles in the fly line what am I doing wrong?

I am cast a 9" wt rod with floating line on a 9" leader

Any help is much appreciated!
Adam

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have always made an effort to have my right foot slightly back of the left so I can turn and watch my back cast straighten out before executing a forward cast. Overpowering the forward cast also creates issues as well. That seems to be my problem as I transition from graphite to glass. Smooth and relaxed!!! :punk:

fishsalmo56 05-16-2014 09:57 PM

In my mind it is a bit of a discipline thing. When practicing your cast on the lawn, or some place where you can have a nice backcast, close your eyes on the back cast and FEEL the line load the rod up before you begin your forward cast. You have to pause enough to let the line really gegin to straighten behnid you, and begin to pull the tip back (loading the rod) before you begin your forward cast.
Once you get it, you will have a real "a ha" moment. Your cast will really improve after that. Put the pause in.

guest59 05-16-2014 10:11 PM

Turn and watch your back cast. Fly casting is all about timing. Starting your forward cast too soon will cause the line to shock (crack the whip) Which causes all kinds of problems on the forward cast. Waiting too long to come forward can cause your line to fall and create a leader-lower-loop. Both are the kiss of death for distance and accuracy. Watch your back cast and come forward the moment the line straightens completely.

Have you casted well with this rod and line before? Perhaps you have a miss matched combo?

Walter1023 05-17-2014 07:28 AM

I always remember Lefty Kreh's comment at a fly casting demo......there are only 2 kinds of people that don't ever get tailing loops:

1) people that don't fly fish and
2) Liars

markfrid 05-23-2014 08:03 PM

Lots of things can cause tailing loops, as covered well in the above links. My favorite trick to get them is to "short-stroke" my final cast, delivering the fly. All is well during false casting, then when I actually make the delivery to the water I tend to not bring my rod back as far as on the false casts. I get impatient. What happens at that point is I try to make my forward cast with a shorter than normal stroke, which overloads the tip. Alacazam! - a tailing loop. My solution is to give myself a little talking to, along the lines of, "Look, doofus, make the last cast just like the false casts. Let the last false cast go straight out, then fall to the water." Works for me. A little lawn casting, actually trying to softly drop a fly on a target works wonders. Lawn casting is great for breaking bad habits and instilling good thoughts. It also really makes your wife shake her head and lovingly laugh at you under her breath.

Mark