The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM

allenvdb is on a distinguished road
Default Casting Lessons

Hi, I am new to fly fishing and have been having trouble with my casting. I have a general knowledge of how to do it and what to do but I can't do it correctly haha. I was wondering if anyone new of any fly casting instructors in northern Michigan?

Thanks Allen
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting Lessons

Go here:

Casting Instructors

Go to the USA, type in "Michigan" for the state, choose "CI" for casting instructor, choose your city, and then search. Go down the list to find someone close.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 PM

allenvdb is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much! I have been looking for a site like this with a list of instructors.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM

double d is on a distinguished road

That is some great information to share with all of us, thanks again!

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 PM

scoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud of

I would suggest spending a bit more money and go fishing with a guide for a day. They will work with your casting along with mending, fly selection, reading water and much more. You will improve your skill set more than you can imagine.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

I would stick with the original suggestion. Many guides and other fly fishermen with years of experience fly fishing are simply not any good at teaching someone else how to do it.
mcnerney and dsmith1427 like this.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 PM

scoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud of

That surprises me all the guides I've fished with have been excellent teachers, I guess I've been lucky.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 AM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

There is certainly an overlap between guides and casting instructors - espceially if you hire a guide through a fly shop, or if you hire a guide who only guides fly fishermen.

If you look at that list provided by Silver, you'll see that many of them have websites. Those who do are either guides, outfitters or fly shop owners, and are also casting instructors who have been trained specifically to teach fly casting.

But from an economical point of view - where I am, a flats guide will cost you $650 a day without tip - a casting lesson will cost you $50 for an hour of concentrated fly casting instruction in a relaxed setting without the distraction of a rocking boat, water, trees, weeds, wind and fish.

In a field, the instructor can stand wherever he needs to, to better observe the caster and can work on specific parts of the cast - like the backcast for instance. The line will just sit there while he's explaining something instead of floating down the river and getting snagged in the puckerbrush.
fredaevans and easterncaster like this.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Jim brings a heck of a lot of good thoughts to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
There is certainly an overlap between guides and casting instructors - espceially if you hire a guide through a fly shop, or if you hire a guide who only guides fly fishermen.

If you look at that list provided by Silver, you'll see that many of them have websites. Those who do are either guides, outfitters or fly shop owners, and are also casting instructors who have been trained specifically to teach fly casting.

But from an economical point of view - where I am, a flats guide will cost you $650 a day without tip - a casting lesson will cost you $50 for an hour of concentrated fly casting instruction in a relaxed setting without the distraction of a rocking boat, water, trees, weeds, wind and fish.

In a field, the instructor can stand wherever he needs to, to better observe the caster and can work on specific parts of the cast - like the backcast for instance. The line will just sit there while he's explaining something instead of floating down the river and getting snagged in the puckerbrush.
For me a really different, and good, new perspective. A one day shot, the Guide; if you're in this 'long term' the lesson perspective makes perfect sense.

Well Done Sir, Well Done.

Fred
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM

ibookje is on a distinguished road
Default Casting Lessons

Why on earth spend a lot of money on a guide to spend time on the lawn getting casting instructions?... Indeed keep it simple and money we'll spent: get in touch with a casting instructor.