The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Found another rod I didn't even knew I had.

'Angler's Workshop' and the cloth says its a 11 foot 2/3. Blank looks heavy to me to be a 2/3 but nothing to go on save for the cloth bag. Odd they would not put the info on the rod itself.

Anyway, this rod could be a treat for close range low water 'high stick' nymphing for summer run steelhead. Don't want to drop a lot of dimes on an expensive WF line so looking for suggestions. Found one other thread on this topic but the posting were back in 2009 so the info is probably way out of date.

Fred
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Found another rod I didn't even knew I had.

11' 2/3 likely wouldn't be cast... As you stated it's basically a small stream high sticking rod... I'd go with some random dt3 and attach a long leader to the end... Something around 15-20' straight mono + sighter + ring + tippet...

I've read reviews that these blanks are nice for their intended purpose... Not many places you could get a $20 specialized black like those anglers roost carry
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Christmas in July! Sounds like a fun nymphing rod.

I love finding things I did not know I had...
Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
11' 2/3 likely wouldn't be cast... As you stated it's basically a small stream high sticking rod... I'd go with some random dt3 and attach a long leader to the end... Something around 15-20' straight mono + sighter + ring + tippet...

I've read reviews that these blanks are nice for their intended purpose... Not many places you could get a $20 specialized black like those anglers roost carry
Suspect you've got it mailed down; save for a 2hander the longest 1hander leader I've cast was on my 7wt 10' Sage (of ancient pedigree) was 10 feet. Lash up above sounds 'totally Tenkra. Not sure I'm capable of a leader that long; could toss one of those on a 15' or 16' footer but doubt I could cast either of those rods now-a-days.

Sigh .... the follies of Youth.

fred
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It's not a leader for casting... More like a lob... Line wouldn't even leave the reel
Old 07-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
It's not a leader for casting... More like a lob... Line wouldn't even leave the reel
Ahhhhh, the old 'Chuck and Duck!'

Fred
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 PM

Minus the ounces of lead ;-)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:50 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Fred, maybe this needs a lower grip installed for the trout spey you were looking for.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
Fred, maybe this needs a lower grip installed for the trout spey you were looking for.
The 'new one' is sitting right next to my 2/3 wt trout spey. Got a hell of a good deal on a complete outfit from a fellow on another board. The only 'extra' I had to buy was a new leader and all is good to go.

Well a few flies ... I'm too old to try to tie some thing below a size 10 hook ... that tie will be damned simple.

Fred
lake flyer likes this.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Blank looks heavy to me to be a 2/3 but nothing to go on save for the cloth bag. Odd they would not put the info on the rod itself.
Fred,

Is there any way you can test true grain window of the blank... maybe set up a simple common cents grid? Take it down to Meiser and have him check the grain window?