The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line

Does the type of line really make a big difference when casting? I have this full sinking line that casts like a dream, barely have to even try to get it out there and then there is this floating line i have that is like a full time job to cast it out. what would cause that?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucebox11 View Post
Does the type of line really make a big difference when casting? I have this full sinking line that casts like a dream, barely have to even try to get it out there and then there is this floating line i have that is like a full time job to cast it out. what would cause that?

I'm not an expert by any means, still learning like most, but I'll answer your question with a few questions. Are the lines of same quality? Is there any visible damage to the floating line? Is the floating line the correct weight?

Ryan
Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It sure can make a difference as you have pointed out. Case in point your full sinking line vs. the floating line you have. Assuming your floating line is matched appropriately to the rod, could it be that you're more used to casting that rod with the full sinking line than you are casting it with a WF floating line.

Even within floating lines the same rod can respond differently to various brands of lines based on taper, grains, etc. Also coming into play may be that the WF line you have may not necessarily be the best match for that rod. Hard to tell, there's not a whole lot of info to go on.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Sinking lines are easier to cast than floating line. The reason is that they are thinner and denser and so the "cut" through the air easier. Because of the lower air friction, they maintain their forward momentum and they are less affected by crosswinds and facing winds.

I sometimes use sinking lines if a casting newbie has a hard time "loading" the rod. Gary Borger gave me a bunch of fly reels that he used to teach fly casting at the Fenwick Fly Fishing Schools. About half were loaded with sinking fly lines.

However if you are actually fishing the lines rather than grass casting, sinking lines are more difficult. They cannot be directly aerialized into the backast until you retrieve much of the line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road

the floating line is a CABELAS PRESTIGE WF6F FLYLINE which is the line I usually use. The full sink line is a Cortland 333+ WF Sinking Fly Line. They are both new this year. Ive only used the full sink line a couple of times, but this morning I really noticed the difference when I was casting. The corland was twice the price as the cabelas, is that line twice the quality?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Sinking lines are easier to cast than floating line. The reason is that they are thinner and denser and so the "cut" through the air easier. Because of the lower air friction, they maintain their forward momentum and they are less affected by crosswinds and facing winds.

I sometimes use sinking lines if a casting newbie has a hard time "loading" the rod. Gary Borger gave me a bunch of fly reels that he used to teach fly casting at the Fenwick Fly Fishing Schools. About half were loaded with sinking fly lines.

However if you are actually fishing the lines rather than grass casting, sinking lines are more difficult. They cannot be directly aerialized into the backast until you retrieve much of the line.
What you wrote here about the thinner denser material makes a lot of sense, you are also right about it being more difficult. I havent used this much because at first I was having a hard time getting it off the water and into the air, especially if i stopped false casting.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 PM

hangin chad is on a distinguished road

I'll be waiting to hear what the experts say to your question.

I just found a WF floating line that's supposed to be the right weight for my rods. I bought it and forgot it, but apparently the fly reel I was using most for practice has a level taper line on it.

Wondering if a WF floating line will be easier or harder to cast than a LT? Sure hope it will be easier, 'cause I've been getting nowhere for years with this casting biz.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 AM

patrick62 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure you wound the correct end of the floating line on the reel? If it's on backwards that would explain a lot.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
Are you sure you wound the correct end of the floating line on the reel? If it's on backwards that would explain a lot.
Good question!! You should check.

Some other questions you should answer are;
1. What brand, model, length and weight fly rod are you using?
2. What brands, models and weights fly lines are you using? (Forgive all the "s", just wanted to emphasize the point.)

Having this information will help us help you.

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 PM

hangin chad is on a distinguished road

Presuming you were talking to me instead of Saucebox, the rod is a 9' Eagle Claw model, same brand single action reel with no drag, and the backing/line were prespooled and supposedly matched.

I have two of those rods and two of those reels, plus a Scientific Anglers brand (no model # to be found on any of my reels that I could see) reel that I loaded with Cabela's house brand WF7F in the hopes it might load the rod better. No luck so far.

Guessing either user error or bad equipment??
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

the weight of the line itself makes a big diffrence in the casting also. a sinking line like stated earlier is heavier than the floating lines. so on the cast it carries the momentum with much less effort than a floating line. the same works for over lining a rod. a 6 wt line will shoot better than a 5 wt line on the same rod since the 6 wt is heavier even in floating lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk