The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 AM

navezgane will become famous soon enough
Default Learning rio gold wf line

After hearing rave reviews of rio gold weight forward floating line I dropped about $75 on a spool of it for my 6wt to replace my old scientific angler line and after several outings am still although think I have adjusted to it am not quite sold. It seems very stiff and less loading than the SA line but I feel my accuracy has enhanced but overall distance is still not there. Does the rio become more 'stetchy' with use or will it remain more rigid? It seems I've had to adjust my casting to more of a whippy and fast to a more graceful and slow style with the rio. Rod is a gl3
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Learning rio gold wf line

Do you have a video of your casting? Better lines tend to shoot thorugh the guides a bit better, but virtually any 6-weight fly line should form loops pretty similarly for you.

Rarely does a new fly line correct any casting issues, unless you were previously using a line that was just totally inappropriate for the rod or something.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

To state the obvious, not all lines and rods match up well with your casting style. Different line weights and tapers will load rods differently. There are many variables to consider but ultimately the best casting approach to any rod/line combo needs to be "discovered" by the angler. You may also find that the the ideal casting stroke needed for a line/rod combo is not a comfortable one for you, in which case you search for a new rod or a new line. As I get older and more experienced, and as the cost of gear continues to rise unrelentingly, I am more convinced than ever that the appropriate approach to building the best combo is to first select the line you want to cast and then match the rod to the line. It's much easier to carry your loaded reel into a fly shop and cast a bunch of rods than carry your rod in and cast a bunch of lines. My 2 cents.
madjoni, dar and eastfly66 like this.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like RIO Gold a lot when it is the correct line for a given rod. I have not noticed undue stiffness in it and I fish it with a 6-weight rod too (among others). It is though a 1/2 size heavy line and is intended to be fished on a rod that wants a bit extra line weight. At the same time its weight is distributed over a longer belly and very long rear taper as it is designed to be a presentation line with strong mending traits.

What was the SA line you replaced it with which sound like it may have been better matched with the GL3?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Yeah I find Rio Gold works well on "faster" rods. I use it in 3wt on a Sage ONE, on a 4wt it goes well with my Allen ICON 10'4wt and 9' Z-axis

For my more medium fast rods I like the SA textured trout (now sharkwave) and Rio Trout LT.

I do find RIO gold works well for me on several rods, as others stated it might not be right for your rod. Matching line to rod sometimes is a chore. My wife bought me a TXL-f 1wt. I had Rio Trout II in a WF1wt and it was awesome on a Elkhorn Traveler 1wt. Pairing that same line with the TXL-f flat out sucked. Went and got the RIO trout LT in a DT and it paired perfectly with that rod for me. Sad part is at $60-$100 for top end lines it is tough to experiment.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It would be too much to ask an independent fly shop to have available multiple different lines to try in a variety of sizes. At major fly fishing shows though where line makers have booths, reels with sample lines for consumers to try with different rods at the show would be a generous and wise service. Also the better rod makers generally have good reels and proper lines rigged at the show for you to try their rods with. Having junkers with crummy lines tells you a lot abbot the rod makers attitude

Also rod makers customer service dept's. should freely inform owners of the designers' line recommendation. Loomis rods tend to like straight line weight but are temperamental regarding weight distribution. Sage and Scott rods tend toward 1/2 heavy lines and are a little more versatile in line handling ability.

Still, experimenting and being sensitive to what the rod/line match up communicates to you is the only way....particularly when you have an earlier model like GL3. I don't know on GL3 but on GLX I liked SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper which is similar in design concept to Gold but true to size.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

It works great on my 4, 6, or 8 wt. 9 foot Z-Axis. I tried it on my 9 ft. 4 wt. Superfine Touch, and it didn't impress me. I also tried the Superfine line in size 4 on the 4 wt. Z, and it doesn't work like the Gold.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM

mwerks is on a distinguished road

The Rio Gold is the fourth line I have tried on my 7' 9" para 14 5 weight clone and as long as you keep the head in the tip it acts a lot like a WF 6. Past that it kind of falls apart. I had some Cortland 333 trout taper laying around which is usually considered for a fast action rod but I tried it anyway and I was surprised how well it out performed the Rio Gold. The short casts were reasonable and it shot out to 65 feet (including the leader) without much of an issue. As I have been told the Young Para 14 clones are a "weird" casting tool so I continue to look for a line that complements it. Maybe I'll just get used to it or develop a weird casting stroke.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

jdwy is on a distinguished road

This original thread is a few months old, but I find it interesting. I'm with Mwerks and Navezgane, I simply cannot get anything out of the WF5W Rio Gold I bought last month. On my new 905 Radian, it feels like it's about two sizes light for a 5wt. rod. Since it was recommended by the shop I bought the rod from, also the Scott people, I gave up and phoned the Rio people yesterday. After telling him what I stated above, plus saying many on this site like it, my first question was if it was possibly boxed wrong and it was a way lighter line than 5 wt. He said anything's possible, but highly doubtful. I stated members here say it's 1/2 heavy as is my SA GPX, but there's no comparison between the two IMO. He said the Rio Gold is NOT 1/2 heavy (but Rio Grande is, IIRC) and SA GPX is 1 wt. over, not 1/2 over. He further said I should have bought Rio Gold 6wt considering what all I had described. To add to my frustration, my practice line is a cheap bottom of the line 25+ year old Orvis or Cortland true 5wt and although nobody would nominate me as caster of the year, I cast that old line as well as the GPX (tight loops, nice distance) but the Rio is more like a kite string, VERY wind sensitive and can hardly feel it load, no matter how much line is out. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:08 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwy View Post
This original thread is a few months old, but I find it interesting. I'm with Mwerks and Navezgane, I simply cannot get anything out of the WF5W Rio Gold I bought last month. On my new 905 Radian, it feels like it's about two sizes light for a 5wt. rod. Since it was recommended by the shop I bought the rod from, also the Scott people, I gave up and phoned the Rio people yesterday. After telling him what I stated above, plus saying many on this site like it, my first question was if it was possibly boxed wrong and it was a way lighter line than 5 wt. He said anything's possible, but highly doubtful. I stated members here say it's 1/2 heavy as is my SA GPX, but there's no comparison between the two IMO. He said the Rio Gold is NOT 1/2 heavy (but Rio Grande is, IIRC) and SA GPX is 1 wt. over, not 1/2 over. He further said I should have bought Rio Gold 6wt considering what all I had described. To add to my frustration, my practice line is a cheap bottom of the line 25+ year old Orvis or Cortland true 5wt and although nobody would nominate me as caster of the year, I cast that old line as well as the GPX (tight loops, nice distance) but the Rio is more like a kite string, VERY wind sensitive and can hardly feel it load, no matter how much line is out. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience?
I have a friend that sells Radians. He pairs Rio's Perception with the Radian. His comment was that it is phenomenal on the Radian! Here's how the lines stack up weight wise.

On 5 weight lines 30' head weight, the Approved range for a 5wt is 134-146 with 140 being the target grain weight. A 6wt is 152-168 and 160 grain.
The Rio Gold is 146 grains - almost half line heavy
Rio Perception is 149 grains - true half line heavy
Rio Grand is either 152 or 160 grains - 1 full line weight heavy
SA GPX is 149 grains - true half line heavy

All of these lines have different tapers and will perform differently dependent on what rod you're casting and the size of the fly you are throwing. If you can find someone (a shop) with a 5wt Rio Perception line, you may want to give it a test cast. The taper is very different than Gold.