The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By photoguy
  • 2 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By james w 3 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of
Default Pond practice

Thanks to everybody who told me to get off my duff and just go to a small body of water to practice casting. I really think it has been helping a lot. I am still a novice, for sure, but the casts are getting a little longer and straighter and better on a sort of consistent basis. I have been on the water over lunch for the five of the past seven work-days. And I caught fish on four of those days, so that was a bonus!

I started out with a short, medium-action 7-ft 4-wt and I felt I was doing okay. I was able to coax my neighbor into letting me try out his Redington 3-wt. I don't know why but I am obsessed with that rod. He bought it last year and he never uses it. Never. Like I thought. All the practicing seemed to have helped because I was able to cast that thing further than I ever did before: about 25 feet, including the leader and tippet.

Whenever you guys talk about being able to cast 20, 30, 50 feet, does that mean fly line only or does it mean the leader and tippet, too? If you are talking about the fly being 20, 30, 50 feet away, then I think I am getting there. I 'forgot' to return it last night, so I used it again today. The wind would come in short spurts and I was practicing casting with the wind, against the wind, sideways to the wind... Did "okay" but not great today. Got a number of casts where the line would pile up in a bundle on the water. I think I was trying to muscle the casts and it felt like I was fishing on a stream because that is what happens there. I did realize I was tipping the rod tip way,w ay too low on the backcast. And I think I was not stopping high enough on the forward cast. Put the two together and I think many problem can occur. I think I "fixed" this problem but I did find myself reaching too much again today--but I also addressed that as soon as possible.

I do not think Don will let me forget to give that rod back tonight but I am ready to use it again! Good thing was that I was still able to get some very good casts (for me) into the wind. It was encouraging. And it was so, so, so so much nicer to practice in a spot where you have the possibility to catch a fish. T he backyard is okay but it will never match water. Never. And I was even able to catch three pretty good-sized bluegill over the past two days and they bent the heck out of that rod! I did find it is easier to lose a fish on the lighter rod, too. (Or maybe it is just me?)

I was even able to get a guy from the office to go with me last Friday. He never fly fished before and rarely even fished in his life. He decided to go because I told him simply casting was a great stress reliever. He laughed at me and said he would go watch. He looked in the back of my car and I happened to have a couple rods there, so he decided to try--cool!!! He chose the 5-wt Clearwater because he was impressed at the length of the rod. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I gave him a few quick instructions and he was casting about 10-12 feet (including leader and tippet) in about three or four tosses. He was fat and happy and said it was a great way to relieve stress. He said he fished before but it was not any fun at all but this was totally different and he felt like he was doing something, not just standing there. I had put a little foam fly on his rod and he was able to actually catch three bluegill. The biggest was about the size of his thumb but he was having a blast. So much so that he said he was recently thinking about buying a spinning rod for him and his son but he has changed his mind. He said his son can get what he wants but Jerry is going for the fly rod. Anudder sucka!

ray
Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pond practice

Practice makes perfect...

I've been along a similar path..in fact, I joined a local fishing club this year largely to have access to the stocked pond. Close to home, I spent a bunch of time there this year simply working on my casting and even catching a few fish along the way. It has helped tremendously. The bonus is that the club is made up of great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge that they're happy to share.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post

Whenever you guys talk about being able to cast 20, 30, 50 feet, does that mean fly line only or does it mean the leader and tippet, too?
ray
If I am not mistaken, I think tournament casting distances are measured from where the caster was standing. So the distance is the fly from the caster. That would include the rod length, line, leader, and even arm extension.

If someone says they can cast "X'" feet of line. I would think that would be the distance of the fly line. Kind of like when a tournament caster says that to cast 110 feet, you have to be able to "carry" over 90 feet of line in the air before the final forward cast.

This makes sense to me since to hit a target ring (or feeding lie) that is 70 feet away you need to "cast 70 feet," and that is shorter than a cast of 70 feet of line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
If I am not mistaken, I think tournament casting distances are measured from where the caster was standing. So the distance is the fly from the caster. That would include the rod length, line, leader, and even arm extension.

If someone says they can cast "X'" feet of line. I would think that would be the distance of the fly line. Kind of like when a tournament caster says that to cast 110 feet, you have to be able to "carry" over 90 feet of line in the air before the final forward cast.

This makes sense to me since to hit a target ring (or feeding lie) that is 70 feet away you need to "cast 70 feet," and that is shorter than a cast of 70 feet of line.

Makes a lot of sense. With all that said, is it good to tossing that 3-wt line 25-feet using a 7' 6" soft rod? It was windy but not terrible. I was able to get that distance when I cast "with" the wind as well as with no wind...which seemed odd to me unless it has something to do with the backcast going into the wind.

But I guess even if it is a somewhat bad distance, I should be happy because I am able to cast it 8-12 feet further than I was ever able to cast it before.

That said, I usually end up to the right of my target...sort of like how I play golf!!

ray
Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Practice makes perfect...

I've been along a similar path..in fact, I joined a local fishing club this year largely to have access to the stocked pond. Close to home, I spent a bunch of time there this year simply working on my casting and even catching a few fish along the way. It has helped tremendously. The bonus is that the club is made up of great bunch of guys with a wealth of knowledge that they're happy to share.

Click the image to open in full size.
What a beautiful setting!!!
photoguy likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:09 PM
easterncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

You sir are not mistaken - you are correct
"From Toe to Target"
Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

....and if you are comparing your results to "Yellowstone Shootouts" that is also toe to target . I called and asked.