The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By huntschool
  • 1 Post By el jefe
  • 6 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By axle27
  • 1 Post By james w 3 3
  • 1 Post By mikechell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold
Default Why is it that one type of casting stroke seems to work better for me ?

I have noticed over the past several months, casting different weight, length and lined rods that my casts are better if I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts. Loops are better, the whole process feels better, I do not get as much or any "tip wiggle" on the forward cast and it just looks better.

I was brought up with the vertical, hold a book under your elbow, 10:00 to 2:00 casting stroke. If I do that now I get crappy loops and all kinds of bad forwards and lousy back casts. Not 100% of the time but a lot.

To add to this, when casting at that slight angle I can put a bit more line in the air then with the vertical rod position cast.

I guess the question is why, after all these years is this happening ?

Thanks in advance.....
fredaevans likes this.
Southeastern Illinois College (semi retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 11-27-2015, 11:38 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why is it that one type of casting stroke seems to work better for me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
I have noticed over the past several months, casting different weight, length and lined rods that my casts are better if I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts. Loops are better, the whole process feels better, I do not get as much or any "tip wiggle" on the forward cast and it just looks better.

I was brought up with the vertical, hold a book under your elbow, 10:00 to 2:00 casting stroke. If I do that now I get crappy loops and all kinds of bad forwards and lousy back casts. Not 100% of the time but a lot.

To add to this, when casting at that slight angle I can put a bit more line in the air then with the vertical rod position cast.

I guess the question is why, after all these years is this happening ?

Thanks in advance.....
I can't explain it, but you just described my casting to a T. The guy that taught me to cast calls it "dishing", and it is the most comfortable and effective way for me to cast. Once I understood I was dishing, I set out to do two things: (1) eradicate the dish; and (2) take advantage of that work to work on all other types of casting, over-the-off-shoulder, casting with my other hand, sidearm, you name it.

What I learned is that with enough practice, I can properly master hanging up on the tree, fence, and play set behind me, and the patio, outdoor furniture, and bushes ahead of me, with every conceivable type of cast. I can even hook those things with air mends and double-hauls. Once I mastered that, I considered it good, and called it a day.

PS I still dish, as it works best for me, but I learned a lot of other casts along the way. I suspect the dishing results from when learning the cast, a lot of us stand slightly open to view our loops as the line goes back and through. To get a better view, it also helps to dish a little, otherwise we are craning our necks too much.
Flyfisher for men likes this.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is it that one type of casting stroke seems to work better for me ?

I think the phenomena is called self optimization.

Role of Biofeedback in Optimizing Psychomotor Performance in Sports

I teach the overhead method to beginners as the basic foundation cast. But they then gradually adapt to form their own style of casting that best suits them.

"What Kyte and Moran found is that, once they've learned the basics, most casters “self optimize”—that is, they unconsciously choose those movements that seem to work best for them. Differences in anatomy, size, and strength come into play in this process."

Is There a "Correct" Casting Style? | MidCurrent

It may be as simple as the rod grip you use works better for you with the rod canted but the reality is that are so many variables that I doubt anyone can tell you other that the fact that it just "feels" better.
Ard, mcnerney, eastfly66 and 3 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-27-2015, 04:18 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Is it the cast where you sit on your hand for a half hour so it feels like someone else? Oh, wait, nevermind.
dragon11 likes this.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:21 PM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I think the phenomena is called self optimization.

Role of Biofeedback in Optimizing Psychomotor Performance in Sports

I teach the overhead method to beginners as the basic foundation cast. But they then gradually adapt to form their own style of casting that best suits them.

"What Kyte and Moran found is that, once they've learned the basics, most casters “self optimize”—that is, they unconsciously choose those movements that seem to work best for them. Differences in anatomy, size, and strength come into play in this process."

Is There a "Correct" Casting Style? | MidCurrent

It may be as simple as the rod grip you use works better for you with the rod canted but the reality is that are so many variables that I doubt anyone can tell you other that the fact that it just "feels" better.
Wonderful response!
The same phrase "self optimization" appears in ergonomics studies also.
myt1 likes this.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Flyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant futureFlyfisher for men has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
What I learned is that with enough practice, I can properly master hanging up on the tree, fence, and play set behind me, and the patio, outdoor furniture, and bushes ahead of me, with every conceivable type of cast. I can even hook those things with air mends and double-hauls. Once I mastered that, I considered it good, and called it a day.
Just like me!!!

Quote:
I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts.
The sounds like my stroke. It comes from using a spinning rod. My stroke is not much different for either.

Living in Kansas lends to it as well. With our wind, the tendency is to be more sidearm.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:52 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

I guess this is some what common....

Silver: I think it may be more self-actualization;

"The achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world"

than self optimization;

"A process in which the system's settings are autonomously and continuously adapted to the traffic"

in that I am satisfying my desire to make a successful cast using the skills and abilities that I have. KASH formula according to Hooks in "Modelnetics," Knowledge, Attitude, Skills and....... Habits....

However, Psychomotor Performance is an outcome of tactile kinesthetic learning or repetitive practice.

All kind of fits, don't ya think ? I will admit those two words can be some what interchangeable depending on the direction of the discussion.
Southeastern Illinois College (semi retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 11-29-2015, 04:57 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Something like this video with Capt. Meyers ? somewhere around 1.10 into the vid

Fly Casting- Throw Away your Watch ! | the limp cobra

Last edited by eastfly66; 11-29-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 PM

mikechell is on a distinguished road

IN my boat, I carry 6 rods with me. Some are different sizes, but it's the actions that I notice the most.
Fast action rods work for me if I am off to the side a bit, as you describe.
Slower action rods work best directly over head, as this gives the rod a little more lifting action to get the line off the water.
huntschool likes this.