Why is it that one type of casting stroke seems to work better for me ?

huntschool

Reaction score
I have noticed over the past several months, casting different weight, length and lined rods that my casts are better if I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts. Loops are better, the whole process feels better, I do not get as much or any "tip wiggle" on the forward cast and it just looks better.

I was brought up with the vertical, hold a book under your elbow, 10:00 to 2:00 casting stroke. If I do that now I get crappy loops and all kinds of bad forwards and lousy back casts. Not 100% of the time but a lot.

To add to this, when casting at that slight angle I can put a bit more line in the air then with the vertical rod position cast.

I guess the question is why, after all these years is this happening ?

Thanks in advance.....

el jefe

Reaction score
I have noticed over the past several months, casting different weight, length and lined rods that my casts are better if I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts. Loops are better, the whole process feels better, I do not get as much or any "tip wiggle" on the forward cast and it just looks better.

I was brought up with the vertical, hold a book under your elbow, 10:00 to 2:00 casting stroke. If I do that now I get crappy loops and all kinds of bad forwards and lousy back casts. Not 100% of the time but a lot.

To add to this, when casting at that slight angle I can put a bit more line in the air then with the vertical rod position cast.

I guess the question is why, after all these years is this happening ?

Thanks in advance.....
I can't explain it, but you just described my casting to a T. The guy that taught me to cast calls it "dishing", and it is the most comfortable and effective way for me to cast. Once I understood I was dishing, I set out to do two things: (1) eradicate the dish; and (2) take advantage of that work to work on all other types of casting, over-the-off-shoulder, casting with my other hand, sidearm, you name it.

What I learned is that with enough practice, I can properly master hanging up on the tree, fence, and play set behind me, and the patio, outdoor furniture, and bushes ahead of me, with every conceivable type of cast. I can even hook those things with air mends and double-hauls. Once I mastered that, I considered it good, and called it a day.

PS I still dish, as it works best for me, but I learned a lot of other casts along the way. I suspect the dishing results from when learning the cast, a lot of us stand slightly open to view our loops as the line goes back and through. To get a better view, it also helps to dish a little, otherwise we are craning our necks too much.

silver creek

Reaction score
I think the phenomena is called self optimization.

Role of Biofeedback in Optimizing Psychomotor Performance in Sports

I teach the overhead method to beginners as the basic foundation cast. But they then gradually adapt to form their own style of casting that best suits them.

"What Kyte and Moran found is that, once they've learned the basics, most casters “self optimize”—that is, they unconsciously choose those movements that seem to work best for them. Differences in anatomy, size, and strength come into play in this process."

Is There a "Correct" Casting Style? | MidCurrent

It may be as simple as the rod grip you use works better for you with the rod canted but the reality is that are so many variables that I doubt anyone can tell you other that the fact that it just "feels" better.

axle27

Reaction score
Is it the cast where you sit on your hand for a half hour so it feels like someone else? Oh, wait, nevermind.

J

james w 3 3

I think the phenomena is called self optimization.

Role of Biofeedback in Optimizing Psychomotor Performance in Sports

I teach the overhead method to beginners as the basic foundation cast. But they then gradually adapt to form their own style of casting that best suits them.

"What Kyte and Moran found is that, once they've learned the basics, most casters “self optimize”—that is, they unconsciously choose those movements that seem to work best for them. Differences in anatomy, size, and strength come into play in this process."

Is There a "Correct" Casting Style? | MidCurrent

It may be as simple as the rod grip you use works better for you with the rod canted but the reality is that are so many variables that I doubt anyone can tell you other that the fact that it just "feels" better.
Wonderful response!
The same phrase "self optimization" appears in ergonomics studies also.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
What I learned is that with enough practice, I can properly master hanging up on the tree, fence, and play set behind me, and the patio, outdoor furniture, and bushes ahead of me, with every conceivable type of cast. I can even hook those things with air mends and double-hauls. Once I mastered that, I considered it good, and called it a day.
Just like me!!!

I have a slight angle away from vertical when making both back and forward casts.
The sounds like my stroke. It comes from using a spinning rod. My stroke is not much different for either.

Living in Kansas lends to it as well. With our wind, the tendency is to be more sidearm.

huntschool

Reaction score
I guess this is some what common....

Silver: I think it may be more self-actualization;

"The achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world"

than self optimization;

"A process in which the system's settings are autonomously and continuously adapted to the traffic"

in that I am satisfying my desire to make a successful cast using the skills and abilities that I have. KASH formula according to Hooks in "Modelnetics," Knowledge, Attitude, Skills and....... Habits....

However, Psychomotor Performance is an outcome of tactile kinesthetic learning or repetitive practice.

All kind of fits, don't ya think ? I will admit those two words can be some what interchangeable depending on the direction of the discussion.

mikechell

Reaction score
IN my boat, I carry 6 rods with me. Some are different sizes, but it's the actions that I notice the most.
Fast action rods work for me if I am off to the side a bit, as you describe.
Slower action rods work best directly over head, as this gives the rod a little more lifting action to get the line off the water.