The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 AM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future
Default Tips for high wind

Wind is a constant here. I feel like I've gotten pretty used to it. I'm decent at working a single haul and slowly improving a double. But the other day in high winds, I was having trouble getting smaller flies to turn over. My loops in the fly line looked great, and the leader was turning over decently about half way down, but the flies themselves were getting caught in the wind. Casting upstream into a headwind, the leader would basically fold in half about 2/3 way down and the flies would actually land downstream of nearly half the leader.
I haven't had this problem before. But with winter, I was fishing smaller/lighter flies than usual.
Anything I can do to help this situation, or is it just part of fishing into a headwind? Gusts were around 45-50

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2015, 04:13 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tips for high wind

Good Morning Stig,

Casting light gear in the wind is trouble no matter how you cook it if your trying for any kind of distance. There are a host of good videos to help and below is one. I generally bring the line under the rod on the backcast and low to the water but with a long fine leader it is still tough. The Italian stlye of casting may be a good choice , I don't do it but have read a tad. Take a look at other videos by Capt. Chris Myers and Paul Arden just to name a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfb...qJiVkRB5NRj9ek
Old 12-20-2015, 07:13 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Chuck and duck...
onemississipp likes this.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:44 AM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future

Something that works for me is what I would call an 'exaggerated stop'.

Just before you stop the forward cast, give the rod an extra punch of speed. A haul here will make it even better.

I fish a lot of 0-2 weight rods. This helps me a lot in the wind.
james w 3 3 and scotty macfly like this.

Paul
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 AM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gusts were around 45-50
I would either cast perpendicular to the wind or do something else.

Just for kicks, I've false cast directly into sustained winds not much higher than those those speeds using nothing but forward casts without the fly ever touching the ground.

Added Another thing you can do if you insist, and are using a very responsive rod, is to use a high backcast and do a quick 'Pull Back" after the stop on the presentation along with a short, quick third haul, then immediately lower the tip. This is a good way to get a collision with the fly and tip, however, so practice first with fluff w/o a hook in it. A safer way is to cast sidearm with the line as close to the water as you can get it.

Last edited by wjc; 12-20-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

First, I would shorten up the leader and use a shorter and thicker tippet. That will preserve the forward momentum.

Second, I would go up in line weight. A higher weight fly line has a greater mass to line diameter so you get more forward momentum and kinetic energy to drag ratio.

Third, I would use an intermediate fly line. It will float when treated with floatant. Again the ratio of momentum to drag is increased so you can cast further. An alternative is to use a wind cutter fly line taper that is forward weighted.

Fourth, you MUST have a tight loop.

Fifth, you must have an effective double haul.

Sixth, learn to shoot line into the backcast as will as the forward cast.

Casting into into the wind requires all the skills of being able to distance cast.

Then use a sidearm REVERSE Belgian Cast, higher on the backcast and lower on the forward cast. Look at this video but you want an oval casting motion with the backcast a higher and the forward cast a lower rather than a lower backcast and higher forward cast as the in the video.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
First, I would shorten up the leader and use a shorter and thicker tippet. That will preserve the forward momentum.

Second, I would go up in line weight. A higher weight fly line has a greater mass to line diameter so you get more forward momentum and kinetic energy to drag ratio.

Third, I would use an intermediate fly line. It will float when treated with floatant. Again the ratio of momentum to drag is increased so you can cast further. An alternative is to use a wind cutter fly line taper that is forward weighted.
Going beyond what silver said
When you hand tie your own leaders (which I highly recommend) most formulas result in a leader that is basically 60% butt, 20% mid-section, and 20% tippet.
If you use a wind specific formula that's 70% butt, 10% mid, and 20%, your leader is going to turn over far easier.

When I fish in high winds in the surf, I go to my heaviest rod matched with a full sinking line because the sinking lines are about half the diameter of a floating line and therefore cut through the wind much easier.
This is not my favorite way to fish but it gets the job done.

I once took a casting seminar with Bob Clouser that was specificly about wind and weight and I remember asking him about what to do when you have high winds blowing over your casting shoulder.
He looked at me like I was an idiot and said 2 words.... "You move"
I thought that was pretty good advise
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Let's think out of the box here, and take into account where you are.

I run into the same wind issues fishing the eastern sierras. Here's what I've done this last year . . . Shorter leader, clear floating fly line. Airflo Ridge Clear. I started down this road because the wind on my favorite east side lakes can be a huge pain. Turned out to work even better than I ever thought it would, as the line is now effectively all leader! It's on my river 4wt rig now too, not just stillwater .

I have not yet dialed in just how short my fluoro leaders will be, but I'd bet you'll cast a 7' leader in the wind way better than a 9' one.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:31 PM

lake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to all

I pretty much do everything that Silver Creek says above, except for greasing and using an intermediate line.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Before plastic fly lines, fly lines were silk.

Silk fly lines are thinner for the same "weight" than the floating plastic fly lines. So they are denser and heavier than water. In fact, they are intermediate weight fly lines. Untreated, they will sink but treated they will float.

Just like silk line, a treated plastic intermediate fly line will float and this has been a way to fight wind ever since fly fishers began to fish silk fly lines.

This is a fact that is unknown to many modern day fly fishers, who have grown up with plastic lines; but those who have fished with silk know that heavier than water intermediate fly lines do float when treated and they cut through the wind better than the plastic floating lines.

Trout Stalking (Or Discovering Silk Fly Lines) Bamboo Part 86- Week 111 Fly Angler's OnLine

"The Wind

The thinner diameter of the silk line is immediately noticeable as you line it on your rod for the first time. If your rod took a PVC DT5F and you use a DT5 silk you will be surprised at the difference as you start false casting; you might even need to go down to a DT4 because the decreased air resistance makes loading so much easier. The front taper has more weight and starts to load the rod almost immediately. As more line is worked out, you'll notice that less effort is required to sustain it in the air. And if a wind comes up, you'll be able to cut through it with greater effect than ever before. Now start shooting the line. The noise may be a bit disconcerting at first; the rustling, hiss as the braid murmurs through the guides. The shoot, however, will make you soon forget that.

Approaches to Floatation

The specific gravity of a PVC line is less than 1.0; silk lines run 1.2 – 1.4. Yet, the silk floats higher. This is possible because the lines use different approaches to floatation. Modern PVC floating fly lines achieve buoyancy through displacement. Archimede's Principle at work, the line must displace a sufficient volume of water to compensate for its weight; and to do this it must settle deeply into the water. The silk line relies upon the same principle as the floating artificial fly … surface tension. The dressing applied to the line repels the water, floating the line high on the meniscus. Thus, the silk line is easier to lift from the water, and creates less surface disturbance in drawing it back. This is especially evident in the ease of rollcasting."

Why use silk fly lines? Ά Hird Mentality

”The benefits of silk lines that I located online were as follows:

Being thinner than equivalent modern lines, they slice through wind efficiently. Silk lines will either float or sink, depending on the application of grease. (Without grease, they act as intermediate lines.)”
onemississipp likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy