The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 02:20 PM

petyot will become famous soon enoughpetyot will become famous soon enough
Default Beginner in need of hope

Hi there,

I am totally new to fly fishing. I am planning a trip to Pulaski this fall. I bought my stuff a few weeks ago (Fenwick Aetos 8wt, Pflueger Patriarch reel with 8wt Scientific Angler floating line) and I have the summer to be ready for my trip.

I have read almost every posts on this great forum :roll eyes:, I have watched every video from Mel Krieger, Tom Rosenbauer, the Orvis learning center... I have read a few blogs.

It looks so easy on those video

Well, yesterday I tried to cast a little bit in my backyard... Let me confirm that it looks easier than it is!

My best cast was around 30 feet. Accuracy was not so bad but I was able to tie a few knots in my line without touching it, just in the air . My line got tangled in my reel and around my cork handle a few times. Not a complete disaster but not very satisfying...

I will try to find someone to teach me the basic around here.

Give me some hope, how was your learning curve ? very long ? not so long ?

Thanks!

Pierre
Old 05-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner in need of hope

to the forum Pierre(sounds french)....don't worry you'll cast very well soon,try to find a Jedi (maybe here... there may be someone from your area)or a guide and casting instructor
Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pierre

That is a great idea to get a casting instructor to help out, you will be surprised at how fast you will progress with a little professional first hand help.

Casting is mostly a timing issue. Sometimes it helps to turn your body slightly to your right (if right hand casting) and on the back cast, turn your head and watch the fly line as it extends behind you, just as it extends fully, start your forward cast. Beginners will almost always start the forward cast before the back cast straightens (hence the recommendation to turn and watch the back cast until you can feel the timing).
Also be aware that most beginners when they first start casting, they over rotate the cast (say from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, like a windshield wiper) and they find they can't cast very far, because the tip of the rod is rotating too much. Shorten the stroke to something like (2 o'clock to 10 o'clock), it doesn't have to be exact, but hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.
texastroutbum and hairwing530 like this.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:40 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

It's good that you're practicing, and Pete from Orvis has wonderful videos on casting. Here's another person you may have heard of who is well respected in this sport.

lefty kreh on fly casting - Bing video

Lefty keeps it simple, and it works. Keep in mind that when you watch casting videos, everyone casts a little differently, but just learning the basics can get you casting in YOUR own rhythm shortly.

Mcnerney gave good advice, and I would apply the watching the back cast as he stated. Also, here's my 2 cents worth, but strip off about 20ft. of line from your reel, and lay it in a straight line. Take your rod with the tip down low, and smoothly with acceleration lift the rod tip, like you would on a normal cast, and stop the rod for just a second, and then cast forward and let the line fly out in front of you and follow the end of the line down with your rod. If you can do this a number of times with the line laying in a straight line on the ground, strip off a little more the next day, and do it again.

This exercise will help with laying the fly down, and help with feeling the rod load and unload to help with your timing. It just takes a few minutes a day.
texastroutbum and hairwing530 like this.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:51 PM

boisker is on a distinguished road

Go spend a morning with a casting instructor.... You'll be months ahead than if you proceed on your own watching vids.... Get the instructor to set your basics right and then you can pick up other bits from vids.... Well worth the money for a couple of hours
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 PM

petyot will become famous soon enoughpetyot will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all for the advises.

I made some search on the net and I found an local instructor. He sounds like a knowledgeable and fun guy.

He teach to beginners in a local fly fishing association. Lessons are closed for the season in the association but he is willing to teach me privately

I will try to organise some lessons with two friends in the weeks to come.

I am sure it will help a lot!
boisker and hairwing530 like this.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 AM

bill_s is on a distinguished road
Default There is hope!

Hi Petyot,
I started fly fishing about two years ago. I did not know anyone who fly fished and have never taken a lesson. Same as you, I bought a beginners combination set and went at it.

Relax, it is no big deal. You will get there quicker then you think. Now, I am no expert, most likely only a mediocre or worse caster, but I have much fun and truly enjoy the sport.

You can do it. It will take a little longer then a few practice sessions, but if you start fishing more often, you will be ready for your trip.

Being a novice myself I will not give you any suggestions, but here are a few observations:

1) Have a friend make a video of you casting. Guess what, you think your stopping at 2....but most likely you are not. :-) I was shocked when I saw a video of myself, I was certainly not doing what I was trying to do. For me doing a 10 to 2, meant feeling a 11 to 12.

2) Forget about casting. Go fishing.
What really changed the world for me, spring came, the Bluegills came out and I stopped practicing casting and went fishing. I quickly could do a roll cast and enjoyed many days of great Bluegill fishing with all sorts of flies using only a roll cast.

What I did not realize, was that just spending the time with the rod, even though I was only roll casting, my body was learning how a fly rod reacts, I was learning how to make it work. Unconsciously I started turning my roll casts into full casts. Before I knew it....I was casting.

So, go fishing and have some fun. Become friends with your rod.

Good luck and your trip and best wishes.

PS...now, if you think casting was a challenge, wait till you start tying those size 20 flies. Oh my, they still kick my butt! :-)

Cheers
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisker View Post
Go spend a morning with a casting instructor.... You'll be months ahead than if you proceed on your own watching vids.... Get the instructor to set your basics right and then you can pick up other bits from vids.... Well worth the money for a couple of hours

Sooo yes! Chills my blood to read 'I'm new at this and purchased ...,' usually at the recommendation of the sales person. Folks, new at this, start with the casting instructor as they (if they don't you picked the wrong person) will usually bring several 'set up's' for you to test cast/learn/etc.

When it comes to 'gear' "One size does NOT fit all!" With spey rods I'll bring at least four (some times six) complete set ups and let the 'newbie' find what fits. We've all had a go at casting someone elses rig and did a 'now this is cool' to 'now this is a total clunker. 'Eye of the Beholder' sort of thing.

Which is one of the things that's always been of interest is the number of same weight rods a large manufacturer has to sell and other than reading 'reviews' who knows what would be 'right for you?'

With top of the line equipment (rod/reel/line/etc) you can easily drop a thousand dollars, the in-shop rod wiggle is what you based your whole 'I'll take it' on that? One local shop does a 'on river' rod test every couple of months for potentional customers who get to try before they buy. End game is went from a small shop to the largest here in Southern Oregon.

To make this more interesting he lives in a very heavy (Summer) tourest town so lots of walk in customers with time on their hands ... if out of the area usually lots of discresionary income! Last time I heard he went from just 'him' to now two part time time staff.

The hesitation he meets is met with 'Don't worry about lugging the rod tube around I'll ship it to you.' I've heard he even offers to cover the cost of shipping; sounds 'magnamous' (spelling intended) but that probably costs him fifty bucks to sell a grand or more's worth of 'stuff.' Sounds like a good trade off to me?

fae
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Flyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to beholdFlyfisher for men is a splendid one to behold

You're right on schedule, so take heart.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I learned way before there were VCR tapes - DVD's - or You Tube.

For ten years I was a hacker, thrashing around with a fly rod relying on the gift of good hand to eye coordination to avoid hooking my own head. After those ten years of no instruction whatever and thinking I was doing OK I had an experience that changed everything. You can read about it in the short story from the forum blog. There are 2 parts because the blog limits the number of words per entry.

Part One: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...overnight.html

Part Two: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-part-two.html

My advice may seem obtuse but I give it time to time, everyone today is looking to their computers or some other electronic device to teach them what can in some cases take months of dedicated hands on practice to achieve. If you read the story you will learn what I did, it worked but I put time and effort into it. I studied and practiced and have been good ever since. Because of what I did I have been able to enjoy 38 years of fly casting and fishing. I don't put much stock into the ten years prior to my experience but today and even in the 1980's there is very little I can't overcome in my fishing hobby.

I hope that the tale of what happened and how it turned out will be helpful to you and perhaps some others who may need some fine tuning..........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;