The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default The Fly Dryer Cast

Interesting cast , anyone have comment ?

** Copied from The Limp Cobra
rangerrich99 likes this.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Fly Dryer Cast

I like the "C" cast pick up. Faster and more snap to flip off water.

"A real fast, small “C” will pop all the water right out of a dry fly; this makes a very good way to pick up a dry fly and recast without having to false cast to dry the fly. Practice large and slow, large and fast, small and slow, small and fast, “C’s,”and everything in between. This one is worth knowing."

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » The “C” Pickup

A Quick, Slow-Mo C – Fish, Flies & Water

Look at this Italian Style Casting video at 2 min 50 seconds and you will see the "C" cast pickup.

mcnerney and eastfly66 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-31-2016, 03:31 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Thanks Henry , that looks a lot like a Snake Roll , are they the same ?
Old 12-31-2016, 07:43 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

I like the one in the Italian video at 3:09.

It is a short pullback at the beginning of the backcast to put a vertical wave in an overhead cast, followed immediately by the backcast.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

A snake roll is water anchored...think of it as a substitute for roll-casting twice to get your line back up-stream.

I think if you have soggy flies, the cast isn't the problem.....apply floatant...or change flies....

Jim
Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM

wjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond reputewjc has a reputation beyond repute

Floatant? We got no time for no stinking floatant !!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Floatant? We got no time for no stinking floatant !!
Yeah , that works too but doing some cool looking cast makes me feel warm & fuzzy
Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Fkrow is on a distinguished road

He is not getting a complete back cast, early forward cast with little line speed.

Notice how the fly line body slaps the water much earlier than the leader.

A circle cast pick-up made in the forward plane at 90 degrees to the rod tip is much more efficient. It will give a good strong back cast and enable the rod to flex into the forward cast.

Regards,
FK
Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM

boisker is on a distinguished road

Looks a noisy way to lift the line off the water to me...
I'd rather take 30s giving my fly a quick dry and have a stealthier lift... there's no rush, it's fly fishing...
Bigfly likes this.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

Though it wouldn't matter in all cases, all of the casts above to me hint at a loss of precision both in hitting your target area, and in the presentation (as in how gently the line and fly land on the water). Perhaps I'm simply unskilled, yet in all of those examples I would find myself making a false cast and then my final cast simply to be assured all things would work out as intended (getting the line in order and travelling smoothly). That being the case, any fancy pickup or back-cast simply to shed water from the line and fly becomes moot.

For myself at least, the first video and the subsequent Italian one would simply be a recipe for more flubbed casts, and perhaps a few more spooked fish than usual.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.