The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree18Likes
  • 14 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By timd
  • 1 Post By bill_s
  • 1 Post By jpbfly
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paint brush fly casting

I've written many times about using a a paint brush to teach the acceleration and the hard stop/microwrist flick in fly casting. I've done it on several posts but this is the main one.

casting problems

Tim Rajeff explains the use of the paint brush in this must see video:

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM

timd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Paint brush fly casting

Thanks Silver, great instructional video that can help just about anyone.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 AM

bill_s is on a distinguished road

Big thanks. I can not open the links from where I am, but when I am in the USA I will. Appreciate the information and your effort.

Fly fishing is such an interesting hobby. There are so many aspects. At first casting was critical, but after gaining a basic level, I have rather ignored the issue. My basic abilities have seemed to suffice.

Maybe time to reconsider...but there are those trial leaders to tie, those darn difficult 22 parachutes to master, those full flex rods to play with, etc.

What fun!

Cheers
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver
That video has some really excellent casting tips, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

going to buy a paint brush next time I go to the DIY shop
Great tip for a guide
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 PM

philip43 is on a distinguished road

Aha, now I understand the problem I am having with trying to cast a bit further. Philip
Old 05-27-2017, 01:22 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Great video, Silver. I had seen the paintbrush idea before but had forgotten it. Always good to review.

Thanks,
steve
Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Silver
That video has some really excellent casting tips, thanks for sharing!
I am helping Gary Borger edit the first draft of his next book, The Perfect Cast I which is a companion to his DVD which can be purchased below for $16.50

The Perfect Cast I | eBay

Gary explains the progression of fly casting from using just the wrist, to forearm and wrist, and finally the modern distance cast using the arm, forearm and wrist. Like building a house, Gary lays brick by brick, the fundamentals of fly casting so the result is The Perfect Cast

Gary’s book will clarify sections of Tim’s video which can be misleading.

Review the Tim Rajeff’s video below and you will see that when Tim is demonstrating stroke length, his short stroke uses a bit of forearm with a wrist cast. For the long stroke he uses the arm, forearm, and wrist (start at 1:10).

Casting with the wrist (Wrist casting) is integrated into casting at all distances. Go to 1:37 in the video. Tim discusses acceleration. Pay attention to when he “flicks” his wrist when pantomimes the cast. This is the wrist flick of tossing water off the paint brush. Notice that regardless of whether he is casting long or short, there is a wrist flick. When he discusses stopping, there is that wrist flick with a hard stop! This wrist flick is sometimes likened to the motion of using a hammer to pound a nail into a wall. It is this wrist wrist flick that Joan Wulff calls a “power snap.”

Although the video emphasizes the forward wrist flick, the flick also happens in the opposite direction on the back cast. This is where newbies get into trouble because flicking the wrist backward using the thumb on top grip often ends up with the rod stopping at 3 o’clock and not 1 o’clock as with the three point grip.

Although Tim Rajeff’s video demonstrates the wrist flick beginning at the end of forearm motion (3:10 in the video); the wrist actually flick occurs during the last 30 degrees of the forearm motion. Note that as Tim demonstrates he SLOWS down the forearm motion and then flicks the paintbrush. Tim separates the forearm and wrist motions for demonstration purposes. As Gary Borger explains below, this slowing of the forearm stroke and THEN the wrist flick is NOT what actually happens.

Gary writes in The Perfect Cast I first draft that when the rod tip begins to slow down, the cast ends. The fly line will continue forward and overtake the slowing rod tip. So there can be no separation of the forearm and wrist flick if the rod tip is to continuously accelerate the fly line.

Consider that when you swing a hammer, the stroke of forearm and the chop (flick) of occur simultaneously. There is NO separation of the forearm and wrist motions when pounding a nail. This high speed rotation of the fly rod handle (or the hammer handle) by the wrist flick during the forearm stroke is multiplied by the rod length to give the fly rod tip, and therefore the fly line, tremendous acceleration.

Here is an illustration from Jason Borger’ book, Nature of Fly Casting showing the Acceleration, Loop formation, and Energy transfer during a cast. Although the illustration separates the the 3 phases ALE of the fly cast, acceleration actually continues through loop formation. Loop formation occurs during the wrists flick and the wrist flick is the phase of greatest acceleration which ends at the stop.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Although I mention The Perfect Cast I in regards to the wrist flick, I recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand how to improve their casting and mending skills. Gary's descriptions of how to perform in the air line mends is alone worth the price of the book.

Most of use deal with individual mends like a simple reach mend, but Gary describes how to combine in the air simultaneous mends, for example, an aerial puddle mend following by an on the water hump mends and then a dancing line mend. His techniques were a revelation to me and I've know the guy for over 30 years.
plecain likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy