The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM

benpuls98 is on a distinguished road
Default Belgian cast

I've been reading some of the other threads and have seen a few mentions of a "Belgian cast". Could someone explain to me what this is and when it is used? It might be something I already do, but I've never heard the term before and was curious.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belgian cast

Its a great way to cast into strong headwinds, as it keeps tension on the fly thru the entire cast.

ts47, unknownflyman and dennyk like this.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM

dennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud ofdennyk has much to be proud of

Sweet! Thanks Larry, this interests me as well!

Denny
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Adding to what Larry has posted, the Belgian cast and reverse Belgian cast are also called constant tension oval casts. The standard Belgian cast is a low sidearm backcast with an immediate transition to an overhead or higher sidearm, forward cast. The rod tip goes in an OVAL path without a stop, hence the name “constant tension” cast and “oval” cast in addition to the name “Belgian” cast. The reverse Belgian is a high sidearm or vertical backcast connected to a lower sidearm cast.

The reverse Belgian is used when casting INTO the wind. When casting INTO the wind, the higher back cast uses the facing wind to add energy to the back cast and the low forward cast takes advantage of the lower facing wind nearer the ground or water surface. So the high back cast is WITH the wind and the lower forward cast is against the wind.

The Belgian cast is used when there is no wind or when casting with the wind. The lower back cast is made against the wind and the forward cast is with the wind which helps lengthen the cast and extend the leader.

Since the back cast and forward cast are in different casting planes, there tailing loops cannot tangle the line or leader. Even if the paths of the fly line/leader of the back cast and forward cast cross each other horizontally, they are separated vertically and CANNOT get tangled. For a the fly leg of the line to hook the rod leg of the line, they MUST be in the same casting plane. So the Belgian cast is a cure for a tailing loop.

Since there is NO STOP in the cast and the paths of the back cast and forward casts are separated, the oval cast is used when casting heavy flies or rigs that would jerk the rod on the rod stop between the back cast and forward cast. It is the cast to use when casting heavy streamers, rigs with split shot, dry dropper with heavy nymphs, etc.. It helps prevent the rigs form hitting the rod tip or shaft and breaking the rod. It is also used when casting heavy lines like sinking fly lines.

Casting Heavy Flies | MidCurrent

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent

How to cast weighted fly line, heavy flies, and split-shot

However, there is a disadvantage to the Belgian cast. Because it is an OVAL casting motion, it introduces another twist into the line for every oval casting motion. If you adopt the Belgian cast as your standard cast for everything, you need to allow the fly line to UNTWIST, by letting it drag in the current, With a light fly, the line will untwist, BUT with a heavy fly, it will not.

So be attentive when you use the Belgian cast to monitor your line for twist. Reeling up a twisted fly line and storing it that way is not good for the line. After you take off the fly, let it untwist before putting the line back on the reel.

"The disadvantage of this cast is that it throws a half twist in the line every cast. Half twists add up! So it's best to use this cast sparingly, otherwise you will have to get into the habit of removing the reel from the rod, every 30 casts, or so, in order to spin the twists out."

The Belgian Cast

Here are videos of the Belgian Cast

Orvis Video

mcnerney, fredaevans, ts47 and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 04-26-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:36 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

I use this a lot on two hand rods too, works really well with short shooting heads as well.

Thanks for posting.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM

benpuls98 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information fella's, it more than satisfied my curiosity .
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another video by Tim Rajeff on casting a heavy rig using constant tension:

Rip Tide and karstopo like this.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 AM

slowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to beholdslowdown is a splendid one to behold

i tend to just cast that way. Had a guide point it out once in Alaska. He said, nice belgium casting....At first, i thought it was some kind of insult, but played along as I had no idea what it meant. Later, he I think figured out that it was just my style and nothing I was doing on purpose, so he actually explained himself. Amazing that bad habits sometimes work out.
mcnerney, karstopo and dennyk like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold

Reading these posts makes me realize I mostly use a Belgian or reverse Belgian cast depending on the wind direction. I often use heavy flies and it's almost always windy so I think the conditions forced me into this style of cast I just didn't realize it had a name. I get the line twist Silver Creek mentioned when I use the heavy tungsten beaded patterns. I just do a few casts with the opposite arm and that removes the twist.
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 AM

mjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura about

I've used the Belgian/oval cast but I also found this useful... although it is really hard to overcome that urge to try powering the fly into the wind.

Deeter: Fly Casting into the Wind...The Best Tip Ever | Field & Stream

Repeating "strong man, soft man" (or something similar) while you're casting does help. I tried this last weekend standing on a sandbar in the Indian River with the wind in my face. I couldn't cast a lot of distance into the wind, but was able to get about 50 feet of line out, so it was the difference between fishing and not be able to fish.