The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 AM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Recommend a DVD for learning specialty casts

I can do the basic cast, I can mend line, I can roll cast pretty well as long as I've got a DT line in the reel... but I want to learn some of these crazy casts like the double haul, the bow and arrow, anything else that I don't know, and also perfect my basic casting techniques. I'm not that good at learning from pictures or from written descriptions. I've tried the single haul, but just don't think I understand the concepts just looking at photos of it. All my technique (if you call it that, you'd be giving me a compliment), I've learned from guides giving me casting lessons, but I think I can learn pretty well from a DVD.

Are there any good DVDs out there that cover lots of specialty casts?
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Recommend a DVD for learning specialty casts

The Essence of Fly Casting by Mel Krieger. He is a bit goofy in his presentation. But it covers all the basics. You can get it on Amazon.com along with another DVD of his called Fly Casting Faults and Fixes.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi plland,

I think one of the best is "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting". This one DVD covers every thing you need to know. Lefty has change some concepts on fly casting and his methods work.

I have Mel Kriege's "Essence of Fly Casting". I like his presentation and there is nothing wrong with his DVD (I have the tape). He has two DVD's. If you want the specialty cast you may want to get "Essence of Fly Casting 2". I don't have his second DVD.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting Dvd
Item # KD001

LEFTY KREH ON FLY CASTING Lefty covers it all in this one. From beginning techniques to advanced casts like the curve cast, tuck cast, steeple cast, double-haul, two-handed cast and many more. How to make long roll casts, and a technique that will teach anyone to make a 100-ft plus overhead cast. LEFTY IS THE BEST, and here he becomes your personal instructor. DVD
Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My favorite is Joe humphrey's "A casting approach to nymphing tactics". It doesn't spend time on curve casts and such, but I think its vital info that will get you into more fish. He has a video on dry flies in tight brush that's quite good as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd like the PhD version of double haul technique, take a look at
Joan Wulff's DVD . It's the only casting video I own, and it's a love/hate
thing. JW breaks down all motion to the smallest detail, and it can be tedious.
You won't be left with many questions afterward, however. One of the really
useful sections on JW's DVD is the "Oval Cast". It made casting large and
heavy patterns much easier in many situations.

A search on YouTube for "Double Haul", etc, will yield some good results. Just
make sure that the video you're watching seems to have some merit, and that
it's not just some yo-yo with a video camera......
Old 05-08-2008, 06:44 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Joan Wulff's DVD has also been very helpful for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Crunchbird is on a distinguished road

Joan Wulff definitely.