The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Cleetus is on a distinguished road
Default tight twists in tippet

[img2="left"]http://img23.imagevenue.com/loc1140/th_26656_untitled_122_1140lo.JPG[/img2]OK So while fishing this weekend I came across a new phenomenon...for me at least. After casting I noticed the tippets section of my leader had these tight twists in it. Now, when I unfurled the leader I got all the kinks out and When I attached some tippet material I did the same thing. In addition I have this problem where my tippet hits and wraps itself around the line-leader connection. These kinky twists made a knot that resulted in the whole shebang needing to be cut off of the line. Hopefully the drawing makes the problem clear.

Anyone have any clue why this happens? And what I can do to stop it?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: tight twists in tippet

What kinda of fly were you using was it spinning on the retrieve??
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tight twists in tippet

Is your flyline twisted too?---Did you put new flyline on and take the line off the side of the spool instead off the end with the spool revolving?---or like jimw said it could be your fly spinning in the water or the air while you are casting.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM

I was fishing a dry fly. And no the line is one season old and put on right. As far as I can tell it isn't twisted. I'm ont sure WHEN it was twisting however :/
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

I am wondering were you using a tapered leader? I have seen this happen with a long single piece of light weight leader.

Rusty
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Seems like it might be that the tippet was too light for the fly you were using. Too light of a tippet allows the fly to spin with each cast.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've had a wing come off of a large dry & have heard that ziiiiiiing as it came past me as it was spinning around twisting the tippet. If you are using a larger fly on too thin a tippet it will spin easily & give the knots you described.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I've had a wing come off of a large dry & have heard that ziiiiiiing as it came past me as it was spinning around twisting the tippet. If you are using a larger fly on too thin a tippet it will spin easily & give the knots you described.
Seen that on larger flies/light tippets, and heard the ZIIING . It only takes a few false casts to have a very twisted tippet.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This may seem simplistic: false cast less.

Try to keep the your flies in fishable positions with as few false casts as possible.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 AM

excellent! these all seem like good tips and if I am able to get out this weekend and fish I'll see what I can do and keep you all posted. Thanks!