The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 04:56 PM

mjkirshner has a spectacular aura aboutmjkirshner has a spectacular aura about
Default Exercise: Try casting... with no rod

I was watching a Lefty Kreh instructional clip on YouTube, and some of the people who wrote comments mentioned seeing Lefty casting almost an entire length of fly line with only his hand. That seems the stuff of legend, and I would think that if it were really possible, there would be some video or photographic evidence... and I can't find any. However, it got me thinking that a proper casting motion may be able to throw a short length of line even without a rod, and it might make a good casting exercise. So, I grabbed a reel with some 5-wt line on it, went out and laid about 10 feet of line (plus a 9' leader) on the grass. Holding the reel in my casting hand, with my elbow tight against my side, I pulled it back in a side-arm casting motion, rotating my body, and stopping where I would normally stop a back-cast (think of pull-starting a lawnmower)... and the line came back in a clean looking loop and laid out straight on the grass behind me. Then I "cast" the reel forward, like throwing a baseball (without releasing it, though), and the line went forward in a nice tight loop and laid out straight in front. I stripped off some more line and tried again... and it worked. I found that I can throw about 20 feet of line plus the leader, as long as I keep a straight casting stroke. If I arc the reel outward on either the forward or back cast, the line curves and falls in a loose arc next to me. It takes more energy than casting a rod, but it really magnifies any error. If you do not keep a straight line in the stroke, the line won't lay out straight. But when you get the stroke right, it actually looks ridiculous, seeing 20 feet of fly line looping nicely off the reel and laying out in a perfect straight line, with no fly rod. I still don't know if Lefty Kreh could really throw 100 feet of fly line with no rod, but I think this exercise is going to help me cast with a rod.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 PM

napawino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Exercise: Try casting... with no rod

What is used to deliver the line isn't important . It's all about how well it's delivered. Rod's just make it easier.
vpsihop1 likes this.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 PM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all

I've seen a video of another fella doing this same thing, cast an entire fly line with no rod... Ill try to find it.

Edit- he was not casting an entire line, just 30 feet, but made it look easy
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM

timmah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
I've seen a video of another fella doing this same thing, cast an entire fly line with no rod... Ill try to find it.

Edit- he was not casting an entire line, just 30 feet, but made it look easy
This one?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 PM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL0VqSRjpFk
timmah likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 AM

bloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud of

Okay, it can be done, but look how hard he's working to get that 30 ft cast. It really underscores the value of the rod as a tool to deliver the fly line with a minimum of effort and far greater accuracy.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 AM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute

https://youtu.be/2cRe3-cSgIg
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM

pnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the roughpnc is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if , Lefty Kreh ever did so. But I'm sure he could.
Did not look at click on stuff. Seen it done enough. Do it at exhibitions.

Really quite simple...... not hard to do. Trick or tricks are to grease hand line passes through. And dbl haul. All about line speed.

Most people are so riveted to line hand they don't notice hauling. Or maybe they can't see over those in front of them. Not sure what is seen in videos.

........ pc

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Sorry just realized....... this is ok for f'n around (funnin). Not good for practicing casting with rod. It will destroy your timing. Unless you can seperate the two in your mind.

...... pc

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Another thought.... if this is meant to add difficulty to practice. My way of doing so is to use longer rods. Aside from what fishing I do. I'll practice with whatever rod I expect to use on next club outing. At times half of which is longer rod before switching to rod going to be used.
Most practice I do is Hula-hoop. West side of Florida is windy. Just changing angles creates different situations. Only go longer for nit picking cast.

....... pc
Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 AM

ottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to "test" newly tied leaders by holding the fly line end loop between my thumb and fore finger and "casting" it to see if it lays out straight. Never tried it with a fly line.

Would be interesting to see a "hand lined" fish. Most of my catches are at sub-30 yards and that seems to be the limit of sane rodless casting. Maybe if I get bored at the bluegill hole...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 PM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

It can be done (maybe not the whole line) but a double haul is required.

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)