The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short Casts

Here is a good video by the Utah Fly Guides demonstrating why fly fishers should practice their short casts as well as the long ones. Sometimes it's the shortest of casts that nets the biggest of fish.

Larry
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Short Casts

Excellent video...So many of the fish I catch are with short casts I personally can't understand why people unless the are fishing for bonefish or similar want fast action rods that can cast 100' with ease. Matter of fact the majority of the fish I catch are with short line nymphing techniques and the dry fly fishing I do seldom gets past 30'. Then again for big rivers, surf fishing where you can't wade close enough to where the fish are I can see the point of switch and spey rods.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That was good Larry. Thank You.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
Excellent video...So many of the fish I catch are with short casts I personally can't understand why people unless the are fishing for bonefish or similar want fast action rods that can cast 100' with ease. Matter of fact the majority of the fish I catch are with short line nymphing techniques and the dry fly fishing I do seldom gets past 30'. Then again for big rivers, surf fishing where you can't wade close enough to where the fish are I can see the point of switch and spey rods.
Tom: I do the same thing, most of my casts are inside 30 ft.
I think a lot has to do with the idea that the grass is always greener way over there marketing hype!

Larry
Old 08-30-2010, 06:01 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

That will work Larry. Nice video Joni.
Joni what is the sound track from? Some sweet tunes.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Larry, thanks for the video. No question about it, short casts catch more fish in freshwater than long casts - especially in rivers, more especially in rivers with fast water. Fly drifts are progressively harder to control as distance increases.

Specialty casts like aerial mends, reaches, and curve casts do too in that kind of water, and they are also more important than distance casts. They should also be practiced more than distance casting and used more often on fast rivers than straight casts.

But distance casts can be advantageous occasionally too, if for no other reason than, as Lefty Kreh said, "There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far".

Besides, after practicing aerial mends and hitting pie plates for a while, it's pure joy to throw it just as far as you can for awhile.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Utah Fly Guides. Joni has nothing to do with them (anymore), but used to work with Jake Ricks and Spencer Higa and we know Grant. Mostly private water it looks like. Joni'll pop in in a few with some comments of her own.
It's a cool video though.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I guided Linda and worked with a couple of those guys a few years ago. I know that river well, but it definitely wasn't that full...LOL

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the neat video and good music. I liked that tune. This video shows a lot of why so many love fly fishing for Trout.

Frank