The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly line to leader knot

Thanks to all for the tips.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

I started using one of the woven loops this year. I've never had a hinging problem...that I know of. Then again, I'm not all that great of a caster. But here's what [I]did[I] happen: hiked 2 miles to a fishing spot and spotted some hungry guys. After my first cast, I look and say "where's my fly? wait, where's my leader??" The woven loop had broken somehow so it was dangling straight...bye bye fly and leader.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Fly line to leader knot

Problem with woven or braided loops is that I can never be sure how secure the connection is. Like Fishenrg, I've had the woven connection separate. Don't like the "shrink tubing" method either, as it's hard to determine when too much heat for a tight shrink fit will damage the fly line.

For quick line-leader connections without these problems, I've switched to Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect leaders, which only require a simple twist of the connector to change out the leader. Since I like to build my own leaders, I just cut the S.A. leaders back to the butt area when the leader's pretty well worn and use that butt as the basis for a new hand-tied leader.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to add a 12" butt section to the fly line, and then blood knot my leader to this section today. I've done this before, but not in a while. I
have to say it's less bulky than the loop to loop connections, and the
occassional poor cast doesn't tangle up the tippet on the loops. I build
my own leaders, so this shouldn't have to be replaced for a while. Blood knots
are pretty simple to tie anyway.....
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM

I followed Frank's directions. Worked great, line turns over great on #7 and # 4 wt lines I have. Thanks. Used pliobonver the thread.http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...line-3957.html
Old 05-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I followed Frank's directions. Worked great, line turns over great on #7 and # 4 wt lines I have. Thanks. Used pliobonver the thread.http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...line-3957.html
I have been doing the basic same thing except the stripping part. I just know I would mess something up with chemicals, LOL. I will get brave here in the future. It is the best, just like store bought.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Hi Red,

I am glad to hear that someone used the tutorial. Was there anything that was not clear or something that could be better? Maybe we can make it easier for the next person. You can also make a splice in fly line using this procedure. It is easy to shorten or make longer a fly line with a braided core.

Joni,

You don't have to use any solvent. I use the blade on a pair of paper cutting scissors. They will break right through the finish but not cut the nylon fibers.

Frank
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Red,

Joni,

You don't have to use any solvent. I use the blade on a pair of paper cutting scissors. They will break right through the finish but not cut the nylon fibers.

Frank

I can do that! Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 AM

I didn't use any solvent. On the first line I was over aggresive in removing the coating and cut through a few of the fibers so I cut off that 5/8" and did it again. I used the back of a nail file to scrap off the coating. Just a few scraps and then my finger nail. That removed the outside coating and left all the core fibers intact. By doing this the splice ends up being about the same diameter as the original flyine. I put on 3-4 very thin coats of pliobond.
Other than that I followed the directions as given.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:07 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

There's a simple way to remove a fly line coating from the core, at the tip, and it doesn't involve chemicals or sharp blades. You might call it the garotte method. Cut a foot of 12-15 lb. mono; tie it into a loop (a double overhand knot is good here). Make a wrap around the fly line near the tip. (With some fly lines, you can strip off just a half inch at a time; repeat as necessary.) Use some kind of tool, like a pliers handle, in the other side of the mono loop to spare your hand. Yank, and a half-inch of coating comes off slick as a whistle.