The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly line to leader knot

Nice tip...........

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would like to pass on. If you are using regular Mono or Fluoro (say 8 lb and lighter) like I do when deep nymphing, you might want to make a short BUTT section out of like 30 lb mono. The thinner line will cut the loop.
I make a small 6" butt section and put the thread loop in each end for deep numphing. It is not a worry if you are using regular or furled leaders, but I have read on here of people making there own leaders with LIGHTER butt section.
Just a heads up (from personal experience LOL)
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Frank (or others):

With the technique described in the FAQ and throughout this thread, would zap-a-gap work?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

It's getting into a different subject, but when I make a splice or loop in fly lines, I wrap the two bare cores with 10-12 wraps of thread, using a bobbin spinning around the axis, from one end to the other of the splice. I then coat the conjoined cores with crazy glue, let it dry, then start the bobbin spinning again, making consecutive wraps from end to end; then coat it with something waterproof and flexible, like clear nail hardener. A half-inch splice is stronger than 20 lb. line, according to my limited tests.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've noticed that everytime I've used crazy glue around a loop or one of those braided splice sleeve after a while I have a hinge point that will eventually crack the flyline.
Now I use either softex or that ultraviolet setting knot glue.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I agree with FISHN50. On a fly line I don't like to use Super Glue or other products that gets completely hard. Pliobond has been used since the 50's and it is still a great product for making splices or loops in a fly line. I have heard that Goop is also very good. I have used a ton of Goop over the years but not on my fly line. Not that Goop isn't any good for fly lines but just because Pliobond works so well. Everybody use to carry Pilobond but lately it seems hard to find.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Adhesive -Pilobond General Purpose Adhesive 1 ounce Tube
For rubber, leather, canvas, steel, fiberglass, aluminum, wood and glass
Quick dry formula
Permanent flexible bond
Withstands vibration, flexing, and streching
Resists salt, gasoline, and some acids
Used by professionals in automotive, marine, aircraft and appliance service centers
For hoses, gaskets, seals, couplings, motors, fuel lines and laminates
Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Fly line to leader knot

Frank's right about Pliobond. I have a tube I used in the 1970's for smoothing over knots, etc. which I recently re-discovered in an old vest pocket. It still flows from its tube as good as new - how many glues can you say that about? And the nail knots I covered over in the 1970's are still just as flexible, although I don't trust those 40-year-old lines for fishing now, just for practice casting.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

ya know, I hear people talk about hinging all the time and I get what it is, but I don't think I have ever experienced it. I am sure I would know if I did, but anyway, I refuse to use Super Glue or Zap-A-Gap, for reasons mentioned.
Pliobond, or here I use WELD-BOND, dries rubbery. Even knot sense will get hard so that is out of the question, other than to mark my line at 30' with a dab. This is great for sinking lines.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

Is this the Weldbond you are taking about? The home page states it is Highly Water Resistant but doesn't say anything about marine use. I would like it better if it was water proof or recommended for marine use. I will pick up a tube and give it a try. I have used it for gluing wood.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Weldbond is:
  • Non-flammable, non-toxic & dries clear
  • Unmatched as a primer for porous surfaces
  • Highly water-resistant & impervious to petroleum, oil, grease, salt, moulds and fungi, alkali's & weak acids.
  • Withstands all climatic conditions after curing
  • Non-staining and will not become brittle with age
  • Highly concentrated, can be mixed with water and used a a sealer for many surfaces.
  • Tested and approved by CMHC for use in National Housing Act Construction
  • Used by Nasa for Escape Suites on space shuttle flights
Old 06-11-2008, 02:46 PM

marcelnl is on a distinguished road

on my search for pliobond in the EU domain I started wondering what made it so special and also whether an equivalent would be available overhere.

Is Pliobond (datasheet PLIOBOND Adhesive) one of the early multipurpose glues ?

I have a hunch that something like the glue used to mend plastic beach balls etc would serve the same purpose more or less, would you agree?
This stuff is ao used to glue shoe soles so it' s quite flexible http://www.bison.net/upload/af993e0fc2c7dd2dc07b9e.pdf would do the trick.

Alternatively would a waterproof and flexible glue for mendig diving suits be an option, would anybody have experiences with that?

Would Pliobond be easily obtained on the east coast ?
(could ask a collegue who is an Sea-Angler to send me some to compare).