The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly line to leader knot

I've never tried the welded loop using heat shrink. Were I to attempt this, I'd lay down a few more bux and get the heatshrink with adhesive on the inside. It melts with the heatshrink and that stuff does NOT come off.

I just tied a short piece of Amnesia on the end of my 2-wt lines then made a small loop on the other end of the Amnesia to attach the leader.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwest43 View Post
I have just started to use the nailess nail knot. Its super easy to tie. For me this is the selling point!! Loops were invented because the nail knot is hard to tie, espicially when fish are rising all arround you as the sun falls!

here is the link to the video of how to tie this awesome knot

YouTube - Fly Fishing Knots

The first part is half of the blood knot I use to make leaders. As far as threading the leader into the line, it can be easy with the right tools, however, you have to remember to seal the hole, you have to use a tapered leader (small end first) to thread it, and lastly....some lines have an inner core that you CAN'T stick a needle through.
Sorry, just some cons. But I am a loop person....smaller the better, but I also use furled leaders, so a loop is the only way for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I just tied a short piece of Amnesia on the end of my 2-wt lines then made a small loop on the other end of the Amnesia to attach the leader.
Having tried a number of methods over the last hundred years or so, this is exactly the method I've settled on. I permanently nail knot a looped piece of Amnesia, to which I attach my leader. Never had one fail yet.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo