The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly line to leader knot

I currently tie my leader to the fly line because I thought the turn over may be better but a loop to loop connection would obviously offer the advantage of changing leaders quickly. I believe you need to buy some type of braided loop for the end of the fly line to do this. Does the loop to loop connection turn over as well as when the leader is tied to the fly line? Any negatives to the loop to loop connection? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line to leader knot

Oh Boy..... ...... I've done everything except for the braided loop:
Tie a 10" section of butt material to the line, and tie a perfection loop on the
leader end.
Tie the leader directly to the line, using one of the following: nail knot, needle
nail knot, or a Zap-a-Gap connection a la Dave Whilock.

Most of my lines have a short section of 40lb mono (5/6wt lines), needle knotted to the fly line, and with a perfection loop to attach the leader.
I keep the perfection loops VERY small, and can see a smooth tunrover
when casting.

You can tie the leader right to the fly line, and use a 3X size. If you want
to move down to a 4X, clip all but 6" of the 3X tippet off, and then tie
20" of 4X tippet to the end. You can snip the 3X off, tie 6" of 4X, and then
add a 5X or 6X tippet section to that. I did this for a while (and still do
when I only have a 4X leader for example, but want a 5X), and it works very well.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I agree with Frank. The braided leader loops are always seeming to hang up in my top eye. ..and when I'm on the water trying to get a line out, that rates right up there at the top of jacking up my BP. So, I've switched over to a piece of butt tippet tied to the fly line with a small perfection loop on the end for easy on and off. I usually let that piece about 4 or 5 inches long.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

For years I have been folding the line over and making my own loop. Securing it with fly tying thread then coat.....and guess what, LINE COMPANIES ARE DOING IT! No extra knot from butt section, plus make it smaller than any braided can offer. Strong has heck, I have had the line break 6" up from the loop but never the loop.
HINGING, not here, infact I did a video to prove it to myself. But I use furled leaders.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM

wlb06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
Yeah, I agree with Frank. The braided leader loops are always seeming to hang up in my top eye. ..and when I'm on the water trying to get a line out, that rates right up there at the top of jacking up my BP. So, I've switched over to a piece of butt tippet tied to the fly line with a small perfection loop on the end for easy on and off. I usually let that piece about 4 or 5 inches long.
Any way you could give a picture or drawing of that??? It would really help me understand what you are talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road

There's a neat device made by Shimazaki (you can find it in Feather Craft Catalogue). It's a leader splicer that works beautifully. You then nail knot the leader to the fly line. Neat! Frank S.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have that tool and it is awesome, HOWEVER, you are limited to how thick you can got, but a tapered leader does male it easier.
Also, allot of lines have an inner core that prevents using that tool. Like SYLK.
Or any of the clear lines.
BUT, the ones you can use it on are fantastic and CLEAN, Plus when the leader does where out, cut it down and make it the butt section.
Keep in mind, you can't use furled leaders though till you do make a butt/loop
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 PM

tjammer is on a distinguished road

I found this knot last year and find it extremely simple and quick, with no problems or failures.

Fly Angler's OnLine "Fly Fishing the Salt - 18 - Wading"

TJAmmer
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

red owl
the first thing I do on any new line that doesnt have a loop at both ends is to cut a taper on the end of the line and make a loop in the line and wrap it with 6/0 tying thread and coat it with knot sense or something to keep it from unravelling----I never get a hinge at the connection---any problems i might get is a bit incomplete turnover or "hang" in the tippet but that usually can be adjusted out with tippet diameter and length vs fly size and wind resistance or a haul in the front or loop tightening
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
red owl
the first thing I do on any new line that doesnt have a loop at both ends is to cut a taper on the end of the line and make a loop in the line and wrap it with 6/0 tying thread and coat it with knot sense or something to keep it from unravelling----I never get a hinge at the connection---any problems i might get is a bit incomplete turnover or "hang" in the tippet but that usually can be adjusted out with tippet diameter and length vs fly size and wind resistance or a haul in the front or loop tightening

That is the same thing I do.
Click the image to open in full size.
Coat with Knot Sense, heat with a hair dryer to thin and coat evenly and perfect.
I haven't had the hinge or the hang problem, but maybe it is because of the Furled leaders.