The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whipping noise...

Rip is right on the money --- again. A couple Clousers, Deceivers, and a stripping basket and you should be good to go. Leaders don't have to be complicated-- a 6' section of 20lb test mono would be fine. Polarized sunglasses and a hat are also good for removing some of the glare you'll get off the water, and will also offer some protection against big fly hooks. Pinching down the barbs with a pair of needle nose pliers is also a good idea.

But just a word of caution to watch your self in the water this weekend -- hurricanes are moving up the East coast, although expected to remain off shore they'll probably have a big effect on shore, bringing rip currents, wind, bigger than normal waves and tidal surges and flooding.

If you do get a chance to fish, you're best bet might be in the back bays or inside inlets as opposed to the "high surf" out front.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM

johnpriceonline is on a distinguished road

Had my first lesson last night during the FFF meeting (learned a ton!) and scheduled my first outing in the smokey mountains!

Ard - I'm heading down to the gulf. I'll stop by a fly shop in town before I leave and pick up some of your suggestions. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default +1, and a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Like the others have said, you're going to need better help than anyone can give you on an interweb forum, but to answer your questions..

You're most likely getting the 'whipping' sound because you're starting your forward cast before the backcast is finished.
You need to turn your head and watch it happen.
Most likely you are doing this because your fly is hitting the water
The reason for that is that you are moving your rod tip in an arc rather than in a straight plane. The motion should be a push-pull rather than a swing. The reel needs to pass on the same plane, probably (but not necessarily ) level with your chin.
Agree with all the above but I'd add one more possibility .. and you really see (or I should say 'hear this') with a 2-hander..... too much rod speed?

Personal observation here only (anyone want to jump in and correct me, feel free!!); with a 1-hander you're not waiting long enough to allow the line to 'unroll' behind you so you're getting a "Bull Whip" effect.

With a 2-hander the 'woosh' is because you're bringing the rod forward at too fast a speed (yes, all of us - at one point or another - think that SPEED on the forward cast is the way it has to go ... wrong!) The 'woosh' is your rod getting close to breaking the sound barrier .. ya, ya, I know that sounds like trash talk, but that's exactly what's happening.

Hit the beach and watch Folks who are good with a 1-hander or a 2-hander ... there will be darned little, if any, sound during their casts. Neither is 'over-powering' the rod/line.

fae
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM

johnpriceonline is on a distinguished road

Here are the flies I just purchased...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

John,

I would do as someone already suggested when you go to the gulf and pinch down the barbs really good on those flies. Throwing lead eyed 2/0
salt water flies in the surf is a lot different from throwing #16 or smaller flies on wind free streams.

At all levels of experience, catching the point can happen, but happens more frequently earlier in the sport. Also make absolutely sure you are wearing eye protection and a hat.

Have a great trip.

Cheers,
Jim