The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   doing the double haul (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/45074-doing-double-haul.html)

mobayman 09-03-2010 05:56 PM

doing the double haul

Does it make any difference if you do the haul at the beginning of the acceleration stroke, some place during it or simultaneous with the pop stop?

Hardyreels 09-03-2010 06:16 PM

Re: doing the double haul

Welcome to the forum,

If you look around in the threads in The Fly Cast, you can find some videos on this. Below is my own explanation.

I get the best line speed by giving a yank just after the power stroke begins. At the stops I shoot line to lengthen the cast and then repeat the stroke / yank until I have what I want out. Once I reach the terminus (distance wise) I let the remaining line shoot on the delivery cast. So, yes it can make a difference when you make the 'haul'.

That's how I do it, there are people who teach this who may not agree with what I do.

Ard

Jackster 09-03-2010 06:28 PM

The closer you can make the haul to the stop, the tighter your loop should be (depending, of course, that the other key eliments of your cast are good such as tip path and such)
Too early with the haul and you can easily get a tailing loop by creating a concave rod tip path.
I find pantomime really helps get the timing down. I think that is an old Mel Kreiger tip.

Fly2Fish 09-03-2010 09:13 PM

Mobayman,

If you can combine what Hardyreels and Jackster said, you will have a great double haul in no time. In my experience, practice really pays off in this timing-critical cast.

Hardyreels 09-03-2010 09:20 PM

Hi Fly2,

You said it all there, timing.

Get your head around what you are doing to the load on the rod and the line speed increase and it will all click.

Frank Whiton 09-04-2010 11:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

Jackster wrote: "I find pantomime really helps get the timing down. I think that is an old Mel Kreiger tip."

That is absolutely true. Anytime you have spare time you can practice your timing by making the casting stroke with one hand and the haul with the other hand. Mel's old "Down Up" instruction works great. You don't need a rod or even be outside. I did a couple of practice hauls sitting in front of the computer screen just to see when I do it. I start my haul about the same time I begin the acceleration to the abrupt stop and finish just about the same time I stop.

Frank

devon flyfisher 09-04-2010 05:10 PM

Double Haul Stealth
A right pantomime!
Enjoy
Richard