The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Casting Tangles? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/493-casting-tangles.html)

BigCliff 07-13-2005 08:18 AM

Casting Tangles?

I made some suggestions to another flyfisher recently on how I prefer to avoid tangles while casting and thought that would be a good topic for discussion amongst the group.

The topic being discussed in that case was how to prevent tangles when casting a weighted nymphing rig with an indicator. My suggestion to that person was to make a slightly oval cast, where the backcast is somewhat sidearm, and the forward cast more vertical. I find this keeps the backcast loop open and also reduces the chance that shot and flies will be snapped or thrown off. I should have suggested that the nympher make as few false casts as possible, as this is the most sure-fire way to prevent tangles.

The best way to prevent tangles when making casts with a more normal leader and fly set up is to make sure you aren't throwing tailing loops. (if anyone needs an explanation of tailing loops and their causes, it would be best to consult Doug on that) After that, keeping false casts to a minimum will be helpful in that case as well.

What tips and tricks do y'all advocate to eliminate tangles?

fshfanatic 07-13-2005 12:24 PM

Re: Casting Tangles?

When using weighted nymph rigs with or without indicators I rarely cast. I prefer to swing my offering up stream.

BigCliff 07-20-2005 08:30 AM

C'mon y'all, give us your secrets.

I will also often roll cast to prevent tangles.

ffffg 03-18-2006 09:37 AM

its been windy here in montana lately and ive been also searching how to flip a bead head leach out there with a lightning bug on the trailer without retying a mess all the time.. a newfound friend of mine in a fly shop that has been coaching me on a new lake spot that is getting hot told me to "dont false cast"... the next day i was on the river with my new 7 weight sage ds.. new to me any way..wind was 20-30 mph at times i would let the line get about two rod lenghts down stream that would be about 27 feet including rod line.. then grabbing the line up close to the guide id pull that stuff in hard lift that line off the water and force it into the wind letting go of the line after the rod is about parralel and about 3-5 feet would pull out giving me an aprox 30 foot cast into a nasty wind commind down my snout.. only problem is this works only on one side of the river..ha,ha,ha.. and man am i sore today.. but its good for an old man to get out and get a tuneup... for the other side of the river with the wind blowing down stream, im starting to hold my arm strait up, and rod tip over the other side of my body for false casts so the wind dont blow the line into my body.. seems to work ok with 5 and better with 7 weight.. dave..

FISHN50 08-03-2006 11:44 AM

Try Flipping Your line Behind You ( If You Have Room ) & as You Bring The Rod Forward To Your Side Strip A little Line To Load The Rod Quicker . You Can Even Shoot Some Line Out For A little More Distance.

BigCliff 08-03-2006 01:21 PM

What you're suggesting sounds like it could also be called a water haul in combination with a single haul. The surface tension of the water is used to load the rod (water haul) on the forward stroke and the single haul ("Strip A little Line") adds to the load of the rod.

I'm sure this works very well in some situations, but might take some practice. I say that because if you load the rod with the water haul, let it unload, and then attempt to load it again with the haul/strip, the cast could get ugly. As is the case with any fly cast, try to make the application of power on the cast as smooth as possible.

FISHN50 08-04-2006 11:47 AM

It definitly takes some practice but if you'r using a 2-3 nymph rig with one weighted fly or shot to get down to the bottom it will get the line out there .
I fish some deep streams & the method started out as the only way to get out farther but after a while I just do it out of habit whenever I'm nymphing deep or shallow. Anything to avoid tangles especially when you can see trout or salmon flashing on the bottom.