The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road
Default Interchanging fly line

Got a question for you guys---has anyone use a 5 wt line on a 4 wt Temple Fork rod? I am trying to get a little more distance here. Thanks Bill
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Interchanging fly line

You might want to do the opposite if it's pure distance you want. I lighter line will allow you to carry more line in the false casts without over-taxing the rod.
If it's just to gain a little more distance in fishing casts, going up one line weight shouldn't be a problem at all.
The best thing you can do really is try a 4 weight line from a buddy or fly shop before dropping down any coin on one.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've got a 4 wt TFO (J. Teeny). Because of it's fast action the guys at the fly shop set it with a Rio Grand which is 1/2 overweight. So the line is 4.5 wt. Can't make reference to any distance, but get more flex from the rod.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

IL agree with Jackster. What are you throwing for flies and where are you at now for measured distance? "Guessed at" distance doesn't count.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road

Sorry I didn't mention flies, I am casting small poppers and some small hoppers on a super clear lake. I have a Remington 5wt. and the TF, is the 4 wt I am using. I think I may take the reel off the 5wt rod and mount it on the 4 wt and see what it is like ----the only problem is the balance with the rod, the reel I have on the 4 wt is lighter. Just wondering here.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

If I overline its usually to cause the rod to flex at shorter casting distances. Not sure that I have ever tried overlining for more distance. Interested in how it works for you. Will you post what you figure out?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Jackster has it right.

I had overweighted a 2 wt with 3wt line and ended up with less line control over a certain distance.

If you need more distance, work on single and double hauls. Working on improving your line shooting is more beneficial than over lining a rod any day.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=loydtruss;151538]Sorry I didn't mention flies, I am casting small poppers and some small hoppers on a super clear lake./QUOTE]

Poppers are tricky.

Its true that a skilled caster can cast farther with a matched or lighter line on a given rod, because they will be able to carry more line in the air. But there's basically no chance that you'll be able to put a 3wt line on a 4wt rod and turn over poppers at long distances. A 3wt line just doesn't have the oomph to turn them over, and a 4wt comes up a little short as well.

Switching to a 5wt line may indeed let you cast the poppers further, but a popper on a 5wt definitely won't be your longest casting option.

I'd actually recommend trying the diving version of the same fly with your 4wt line.

Click the image to open in full size.

Divers are more aerodynamic and thus turn over much better on lighter lines. They also look more like a frog and often produce better than poppers.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Great response, Cliff. Right on in all respects!

It might be time to bite the bullet, Lloyd, and spring for a 6 wt.

Fly fishing should be relaxing and fun. Why beat yourself up trying to battle the phyusical laws of the universe?

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 10-14-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Needed a better adjective than "good'.