The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Speyghillie is on a distinguished road
Default Speycasting Masterclass DVD

Here's a wee clip of my buddies Speycasting Masterclass DVD, the DVD is out in some stores now.
Great DVD with some state of the art graphic's that make anybody speycast like a world champion.

YouTube - Scott MacKenzie's Spey Casting Masterclass: INTRO

Gordon.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speycasting Masterclass DVD

That trailer looks so intense and inspiring...I am definitely now on the prowl for a copy of my own.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ben,

Here is a site that Big Cliff found about Spey casting with a single handed and double handed rod. Twelve quick lessons for free. If you are real serious about Spey casting a DVD is the best way to go.

Frank
Old 11-14-2008, 03:21 AM

Hi ben ,
The DVD is so cool, it has state of the art comuter graphic's that sets it apart for anything else in Spey, Scott is also three times world champion and a qualified Instructor. and regarded as the Best Speycaster in the world right now.
I garantee if you do get a copy you wont be dissapointed, if you need help finding a copy in a store let me know and i will tell you where you can get them on-line , as they are just out in NTSC format, they retail at $49.99 in the stores, same price as the UK and this has been the fastest selling fishing DVD ever in the UK.
It will have you out swinging a Spey rod right after you watch it, not saying you will cast a fly 70 yds but you will see it in the DVD and learn how to.. if you want to.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Didn't Scott McKenzie sing If You're Going to San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)

YouTube - Scott MacKenzie - San Francisco with lyrics

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 AM

There for sale on Amazon, or you can see Scott doing a demo at the Sandy river Speyclave in Oregon in May as well as a host of other Speycasters.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Good video, but doesn't go into the different techniques that must be used for casting different kinds of lines - skagit, scandi, etc.

Also lacks info on matching lines to rod lengths and fishing situations.

Randy
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

As a follow-up to my previous post: One of the reasons I struggled so much with spey casting last year was that the videos I watched didn't point out that there is no one-size-fits-all spey cast.

The line - its bellly length, wether is sinking or floating - the water - river or lake - affects the casting techniques we should use.

For example, I tried to use the Mackenzie method with a Scandi line. It didn't work.

Randy
Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I realize this is an older thread, but maybe somebody will find it like I did. I just started spey casting this year. I built a Meiser 15' 8/9 wt. Bob Mieser of Meiser rods told me what line would work best on it and what weight reel would balance it with the lenght handle he suggested. I basically learned everything watching You Tube. I am already putting casts out well over 100' and can do lots of casts. Snap T, Snake roll, Jelly Roll, double spey, wombat, etc. Do not go blind into it however, as there needs to be line to rod matching and wieght balancing. Bob Meiser, who is one of the top spey rod designers on the planet was great help in that department. There are also charts on line for line/rod matching. On the spey rod forum, it is virtually unanimous that the RIO DVD is the best for learning from DVD. I have got to tell you, spey casting is my new favorite thing. There is nothing cooler than executing a multi-spiral snake roll ending in shooting over a hundred feet of line.