The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Casting Distance? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/639-casting-distance.html)

Piscator 09-26-2005 11:36 AM

Casting Distance?

On average, what is the casting distance for a beginner with a 3wt medium flex 7'6'' rod? Just so that I can have something to shoot for when practicing.
Thanks,
Terry

fshfanatic 09-26-2005 12:53 PM

Re: Casting Distance?

90'

Kidding. With a 3 wt I think you (or anyones) longest cast is goning to be like 10-20 ft

easternflyfisher 09-26-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fshfanatic
90'

Kidding. With a 3 wt I think you (or anyones) longest cast is goning to be like 10-20 ft

ive heard about 30ft being the farthest on average. a 3wt simply does not have enough back bone to go 30+.

BigCliff 09-26-2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

With a 3 wt I think you (or anyones) longest cast is goning to be like 10-20 ft
Good to know I've got the greatest 3wt ever! Or maybe I didn't get the memo that you can't double haul with a 3wt. Just gotta figure out how to get the poppers to kick over at 70' with the 3wt.

I would say anything over 40' is durn fine for a 3wt.

Fish Bones 09-26-2005 04:12 PM

OK Terry... that outta help.:wink: You got every answer from 10 ft to 40 ft.

If you're talking about on "average" what a "beginner" should get out of a 7'6" 3wt... I would say perhaps 25-30 ft and still maintain a proper presentation with decent accuracy. With this type of outfit... timing is everything. Don't try to force the cast. Once you start trying to muscle out some distance, your cast will fall apart. Once you master this, a 40+ ft cast should be easy to do. Wind is another issue. Obviously if you tried to cast in East Texas this past Saturday... you got nothing. 3wts need a calm day for decent distance.

OK... here's the thing though. When I'm fishing a 3wt... I'm never in a situation where I need to make a 40 ft cast.

fshfanatic 09-27-2005 01:31 AM

Maybe you all misunderstood my post.

With a 3wt who would need to cast farther than 30ft? I am sure there are many who can cast darn near all their line, but why would you need too?

When I think 3wt I am thinking small stream. Even with a 5wt if I am fishing a stream I rarly cast farther than 20'. I am usually roll casting or just flippin it into pockets..

BigCliff 09-27-2005 08:05 AM

Y'all are right about not needing to cast more than 30' with any "trout" rod. I still catch the vast majority of fish within 30', if not 20'. Accuracy is of course much more important than distance. Presentation is also more important than distance. In theory, if you're fishing a 3wt, you're wanting to take advantage of that line's ability to settle on the water very gently. Casting in a way that works best over 50 feet often does not lead to gentle presentations. I only make those long casts when I am fishing a pond and am too lazy to walk all the way over to the other side.

So in this case laziness, not necessity is the mother of my inventing a reason to double haul with a 3 wt. That and learning how to cast with an 8wt on the Coast.