The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casting weighted flies

I was taught how to 'oval cast' by Bob Clouser...Mr Weighted Fly himself
It was one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: casting weighted flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn68 View Post
hey guys im having trouble casting weighted flies or just when i had weight to the tippet. It just doesnt seem to cast naturally. how do you guys do it.
I go with the Big Cliff method whenever possible. No back cast at all. When I do have to cast I cast like I have a big weight on my line and I power the forward cast only after I feel (or see) the back cast reach full length, then put the fly and weight where you want it.

This may be a good time to say that this is a prime example of why you should sight fish as much as possible. It is sometimes so hard to make a presentation that to labor over an empty piece of water is good only if you have provided yourself with a target. That way when you do find a fish you will be ready.

In reality none of this may be easy to visualize while reading. Best you can do is look for advise then fish till you find what works for you.

Good Luck, and be careful.

Ard