The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   casting weighted flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/6626-casting-weighted-flies.html)

eaglesfn68 11-23-2008 10:50 AM

casting weighted flies

hey guys im having trouble casting weighted flies or just when i had weight to the tippet. It just doesnt seem to cast naturally. how do you guys do it.

Jackster 11-23-2008 11:05 AM

Re: casting weighted flies

Open your loop a bit to help prevent tangles. Also, try 'casting in ovals'... lower on the back cast and more overhead on the forward cast.

Rip Tide 11-23-2008 11:10 AM

Forget the ...backcast..STOP.....forward cast...STOP
You need to cast in in oval so that the weight never stops

Bring the cast back at a 45* as usual, then with out stopping dead, cast over your head the forward cast

So much easier than 'chuck and duck'

Frank Whiton 11-23-2008 11:25 AM

Hi eaglesfn68,

I think first you need to be sure you setup is good. If you are trying to cast big heavy flies you may need to use a heavier rod and line. Or you may need a line with a more aggressive taper like a nymph line. Or you may need a faster action rod.

You don't want to do a lot of false casting. What I try to do is a pick up, one back cast, and then delivery with a haul. Don't use a leader longer than 9' and in shallow water I would use a shorter leader. With split shot don't try to make too long of a cast. 25 to 40 feet is plenty. Remember that with weight on the fly or with heavy split shot you can make shorter cast and still get a good load on the rod. My preference in rods for this type of fishing is a fast action rod that is 9'6".

Can you tell us about your setup?

Frank

dorian.ducker 11-23-2008 11:49 AM

The biggest thing that helped me learn to cast heavy stuff was to use an open loop and watch my backcast to make sure the line has completely straightened out before starting my forward cast.

BigCliff 11-23-2008 01:05 PM

All great info here. Another way to help this out is to position yourself so that very little false casting is needed.

For instance, if you are drifting a nymph through the bottom of a run, position yourself to the side of it instead of below it. While fishing it from below, you have to strip lots of line in and work it back out for the next drift. Lots of opportunities for tangles there. If you're fishing it from the side, you can cast quartering upstream, maintain the line during the drift with mending and rod lifting. Once its quartering downstream, point your back-cast perpendicular to the current, and lay it down again quartering upstream.

Maintaining a dead drift from the side is indeed trickier than from below, so you might want to brush up a bit about mending and reach casts and such.

Lambster 11-25-2008 08:29 PM

Frank is right go to a med. Fast action rod....... had the same problem years ago and the med. fast action rod solved the problem casting larger bugs and streamers. If your using sinktip line cut half of it off and it will be alot easier to cast as well! But do what works for you because everyone casts different......... Lambster:D

GeorgeMcFly 11-30-2008 12:08 AM

all mentioned above is spot on. one thing tho I found out you can't really correct is the wind! sometimes wind will affect bigger flies cause they have more resistance. only thing I found to try to get past this is to haul or double haul your cast. it helps cut the wind some.

randyflycaster 11-30-2008 10:09 AM

I agree with using a heavier line and rod.

I always prefer to use sinking lines instead of weighted flies. Weighted flies can break the tip of your rod.

That said, when making longer casts with weighted flies I actually do not wait for my loop to unroll. If I do, I find the weighted fly will bounce at the end of the false cast and add slack to the line. Even if it doesn't bounce, the line will drop and you may end up hooking yourself on your next cast.

Keep in mind, however, that when I make longer casts with weighted flies I actually used more acceleration on my casting stroke.

But the wind can kill any cast, so I always wear a broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses.

Randy

FrankB2 12-02-2008 11:40 AM

Increasing tippet diameter to 3x works for me. Oval casting works wonders
as well. You might be able to find an oval casting demo on youtube; I
first saw it on Joan Wulff's DVD.