The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Joey W is on a distinguished road
Default tippet piling up on water

doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when i cast the flyline and leader straighten out nicely on the water, but the tippet section bunches up and ends up in a pile..can't figure out why.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: tippet piling up on water

This happens when the cast does not have enough power to completely turn over, most likely caused by too large of a casting loop.

Thing is, you don't change how much power a cast has by putting more oomph/power/muscle into it. You need to change the timing of your forward and backward strokes so that all of the line has finished its trip one direction before you start moving your hand the opposite direction. This will shrink your loop and it will fly through the air more like a golf ball and less like a whiffle ball.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Braunbear66 is on a distinguished road

what kind of leader do you use? I had the same problem some time's. I was reading about Joni making her own Furled leaders. and ordered some Furled leaders. (To me there kind of like a miniature bull whip) BlueSky Furled Tapered leader's are the one's I purchased. I received them the day I got back from Thanksgiving in Yosemite. I put them on and wow what a difference.There soft, no memory. I cast it in my living room just with my hand and it laid out perfectly straight. with the tippet attached. I will never use a tapered orvis leader again. You just give it a stretch when you first take it out of the package no coils. I love it.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
This happens when the cast does not have enough power to completely turn over, most likely caused by too large of a casting loop.

Thing is, you don't change how much power a cast has by putting more oomph/power/muscle into it. You need to change the timing of your forward and backward strokes so that all of the line has finished its trip one direction before you start moving your hand the opposite direction. This will shrink your loop and it will fly through the air more like a golf ball and less like a whiffle ball.
Quoted for emphasis! I've been trying to teach my wife to let the rod do the work for years. It's just now beginning to settle in! Less effort,
greater results. A decent leader helps, but if you're getting good results
with your current set-up, focus on the casting stroke.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I agree with Big Cliff's post. There are many reasons a cast might be underpowered, the most common is that you have too much line out.

A trick you might use is to have just the amount of line off the reel that you want to cast. That way, when the line unrolls it will gently pull against the reel and the tension will help the tippet turn over. If you're not sure about having the right amount of line off the reel, you could allow the unrolling fly line to slide through your fingers and then "catch" it just before the loop unrolls.

Finally, try aiming your presentation cast slightly downward.

Randy