The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Big Flies and Sink Tips

For the most part I've got it fixed, it was just a matter of slowing WAAAAAAAY down. But I can get them out to a fishable distance now. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still having trouble, video record yourself casting. Take a look at the video when you are setting at home and not all frustrated. You will most likely be able to spot your faults on your own. If you can't, make it a file you can e-mail and one of us will look at it.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
You will most likely be able to spot your faults on your own. If you can't, make it a file you can e-mail and one of us will look at it.
Videos are one of, if not the best way to analyse casting problems, not only by you, but by casting coaches as well. When taking them, don't worry about not being able to see the line. Just place the camera far enough away to get your upper body from your line hand at its lowest position up to at least half the rod in the frame.

You can also upload videos to you-tube, and make them private so only people you send a link to will be able to watch them. Several casting cycles are best, so chances are better that you can catch a stopped frame closer to where you want to than if just one casting cycle were taken.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I taught myself to spey cast. Between watching myself on video, and a nice gentleman in Scotland looking at it, we got rid of my bad habits in no time. There is no better way, than video short of having a serious instructor follow you around.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I really am not having much trouble anymore, consistently I can throw a good cast. It was a combo of eliminating false casts as much as possible and getting everything slowed down. I started fishing the bigger flies without the sinktip until I got good throwing those then switched it up and put on the sink tip and just get going with that. It was just excentuating what I did with the big flies even more so with the sink tip on.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Good deal Lancer! The more you do it the better you get at it. At least for quite a while anyway.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lancer09,

Here is my opinion.

I think that adding the sinking section of line is your problem. You have a weight forward fly line that is designed to turn over a leader and fly. The level section of sink tip line added to the end of the fly line will effect the turn over of the setup. Your casting distance is probably being limited by the weight of the level section of sink tip line at the front of the fly line. You fly line was not made to turn over the add on sink tip, plus a leader, plus a fly. Add in a slow/moderate action rod and the results you are getting would be expected.

I know a lot of people use this add on sinking lines but I dislike them with a passion. You will do much better with a WF Sink Tip fly line and a weighted fly than your present setup. How deep are you trying to get?

Frank
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi lancer09,

Here is my opinion.

I think that adding the sinking section of line is your problem. You have a weight forward fly line that is designed to turn over a leader and fly. The level section of sink tip line added to the end of the fly line will effect the turn over of the setup. Your casting distance is probably being limited by the weight of the level section of sink tip line at the front of the fly line. You fly line was not made to turn over the add on sink tip, plus a leader, plus a fly. Add in a slow/moderate action rod and the results you are getting would be expected.

I know a lot of people use this add on sinking lines but I dislike them with a passion. You will do much better with a WF Sink Tip fly line and a weighted fly than your present setup. How deep are you trying to get?

Frank
Frank you can get tappered sink tips now some with aggressive tapers that will turn upto 12' of level tippet! (similar results to what is posable with fureled but costy) they come in 5-15' sections they turn very well

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Chris,

I hope you and all your loved ones and friends have not been injured or financially ruined in the most recent catastrophe to hit New Zealand.

You are all in my thoughts.

Best,
Jim
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Chris,

I hope you and all your loved ones and friends have not been injured or financially ruined in the most recent catastrophe to hit New Zealand.

You are all in my thoughts.

Best,
Jim
Jim: Same goes for me. Chris moved from Selwyn to Christchurch a few months back and the recent earthquake was centered just south of town. From the news reports Christchurch took a very heavy hit. I heard from a friend here in town the harbor has major damage.

Larry