The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trying to improve distance and form

I think a basic understanding of the physics behind flycasting is crucial.
The rod must be allowed to bend/load on the bac and forward casts. Any
arm/wrist/body motions that un-load the rod during its travel will kill the
energy stored within the rod: that energy is what propels the line in both
directions. Watching the line straighten on your backcast will improve your
timing, but be careful that your turning your body to watch the line doesn't
cause your arm to move in a way that un-loads the rod (my wife has to be
reminded of this regularly).

I've been recommeding that people watch this YouTube video: YouTube - Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1 Funny thing
is, it came up next to your video! Watch all 4 parts.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

This may sound stupid but I suppose if you changed your grip (at least for practice) so the forefinger was pointed up, along side the handle, you may get a better feel on where the rod is on the back cast, as far as breaking the wrist.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

thank you all for the tips, hints, and i'm gonna keep practicing and try to keep everything yall have told me in mind.

have a great new years all,
MikeyBob
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Video taping yourself is a good way to keep track of your progress, so keep practicing, apply some of the aforementioned tips, record some more footage in a few days, and bring it back here again. I would like to see your progress.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Video taping yourself is a good way to keep track of your progress, so keep practicing, apply some of the aforementioned tips, record some more footage in a few days, and bring it back here again. I would like to see your progress.
will do, this time i'll get it at an angle so you guys can see where the loops
Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 PM

i went out saturday to the guadalope river this weekend and i defiantly felt some improvement in my cast, my friend, the one who usually just fishes resorts and the coast, came along, and when i asked him to he helped me out with my cast he did so.

he told me about every four casts or so i want to let the line go cause otherwise it gets sloppy, is this true? i'm just curious

and a new vid will possibly come out this weekend, my pops might be takin me to philly to visit my grandma, and then drive over to NJ to watch our eagles wreck!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Get a good video, Mel Kreiger's come to mind, or take lessons from a pro. Stop trying to fix what you are doing. It's time to start over.

Do not take any advise from someone who says to let the line go after four false casts. Two false casts are usually too many. Don't even worry about false casting. Learn the basic casting stroke and build off that.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM

WhiskeyHotel is on a distinguished road

Looking at the frequency of your cast I would almost certainly say that your line is not fully extended on your backcast before you begin your forward motion. If the line is not straight out, you are pulling against a loop and just pulling slack out of the loop. You will gain zero forward motion.

Turn sideways and begin casting. Watch your line over your right shoulder as it goes behind you on the backcast (look back, not forward), when the line is fully extended behind you, then begin your forward cast. Don't shoot any line, but do this motion over and over again to establish the timing needed for a good cast. Remember, watch the line go behind you until it is fully extended before you turn your head and cast forward. The best casters have an almost identical symmetry in their rod motion between back and forward casts.

Finally, for a tight loop to cast into the wind, your rod tip must move parallel to the surface of the water like it is sliding along a shelf. The more arc you put in the motion of your rod tip, the less distance you will have.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a six minute Mel Kreiger casting video: YouTube - Intro to Flycasting with Mel Krieger I like the video I posted
earlier much better, and Mel's making things as complicated as Joan Wulff
does. I hope Mel Kreiger fans don't take offense .
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Armando will become famous soon enough

Hi

Not too much to add.
As it was commented before your body position is not comfortable, mantein your arms on your shoulder level but be free to extend them as much as you want.
I see your accelleration on the backcast is no too good, remember that to load the rod you must let the line to speed up and stop on the back cast to get a good defined forward cast, usually it wont take more than another back cast to shoot the rest of the line. If the accelleration is not good then you are going to try and compesate the slack by using your wrist or pointing the rod tip to ground which will also absorb energy, open your loop and make a mess as in your last cast.
Try to straighten the line before your backcast otherwise it would absorb the energy.
If you understand casting as a springboard youll see that loading it heavily will make you jump further, you usually jump no more than two times to achieve it, you always jump in a straight line before your head is postioned where you want to go and the higher you jump even more far youŽll get.
Maybe this will help you a lot more.