The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Interesting review

This is an interesting video. Curious as to others take on this style of casting.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Interesting review

I don't think there is any universal panacea for "wind". There is a big difference between a head wind and tail wind, and an on side wind and an off side wind. He made no differentiation between any of them, so I will assume he is talking about casting into a headwind of say 15 MPH or more - though the leaves in the background are dead still.

What he's doing, in additiion to a "constant tension" cast, is speeding up his tempo and increasing his casting arc. That only works up to a certain distance, then that cast, like any other, must be paused between cycles to allow the loop to unroll.

Matching haul length to casting arc is "standard proceedure", so there is nothing new about that.

He mentions "shooting into the wind". If he's talking about "wind" as anything over 15 MPH shooting into it (head wind) is insanity. You shoot WITH it into the backcast.

When shooting line, both the fly leg and rod leg of the loop are traveling at the same speed. When not shooting line the rod leg is not moving at all, only the fly leg is moving.

This anchor adds other forces to aerodynamic "skin" drag and form drag on the fly and tangential drag forces. One, centripedal force in a revolving body working against drag forces and the anchor creates tension in the system when the bottom (rod) leg of the line is anchored in your line hand.

Probably the most important is Newton's Law of the Conservation of Momentum, which would have the fly leg in a non-shooting line in space actually ACCELERATE throughout the entire cast. In fact, this happens to a degree even here on earth, and is why fly lines are tapered at the fly end, just like bull whips- to aid Newton's Law. As the mass of the fly leg decreases during a non-shooting cast, its speed increases.

To cast into the wind, I would recommend changing the casting trajectory. Shoot into a high backcast as far as you think you will be able to handle into the wind on the forward cast. Then aim down on the forward cast using a good haul so the loop unrolls right at water height. If you want to use the "Belgian" or "Lefty" cast to do this, that's fine too.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Take a look at the cover of this DVD, Prescott Smith is standing on the bow of a power boat going full tilt while Prescott demos his casting style. The guy in the video above is just giving a demonstration, he isn't casting in a wind as you noted.
TAMING THE WIND: PRESCOTT SMITH REVEALS HIS SECRETS & NEW TECHNIQUES FOR CASTING INTO THE WIND

I sent you a PM.

Larry

Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jim. being a newb to all the casting scenario's your last suggestion is what I see most doing in my neck of the water. If it is blowing at 15 or so I'm going to toss my conventional. We fish for Reds or Trout and Flounder here. Typically we can get out of the wind.
Larry there is a u-tube video showing Flip Pallot casting while on the bow cruising but, he is a master. Hope to be there some day.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Larry,

I sent you a PM and found this "trailer" doing a search, which shows Mr. Smith himself doing the casting. It starts with him on the bow of a boat doing probably around 17 knots false casting a short line into the wind. Then he demonstrates a bunch of change of direction casts using the "Belgian" constant tension cast that Lefty uses frequently in his teaching. It is indeed a good casting technique to know for a lot of things, change of direction for one, casting multiple flies, heavy flies and so on.

Orvis Podcasts - Casting into the Wind

On the trailer, I saw nothing new, but he is a very smooth caster and is using a body friendly stroke. The trailer is nothing like the review, and it seems to me that he's more focused on changing direction than reaching fish at a distance.

Here's an article on the Belgian cast by Macauley Lord if anyone is interested.
Fly Casting,The Belgian Cast - MidCurrent

Here is another by Joe Mulson describing his cast into the wind that he uses wading the flats. In essence, at the conclusion of the forward cast, he continues downward with the rod, slapping the rod leg into the water. So as the loop propagates out in front of him, the bottom leg is laying down in the water , following behind it. At the end of the cast, the fly is the last thing to land.

I never remember to try this cast because I only bonefish on days when I think they will be tailing. I have never seen a bone down here tailing on a windy day,and have wasted a great many hours looking for them in the past. Personally, I don't think they like their tails gettng cold and I fully sypathize with them. So, since I am never on the flats in the high wind, I never remember to try his technique.

As soon as the water warms back up to wadeable temperatures next year (85 degrees or so), I will try it and report back.

Joe Mulson's Flyfishing Wind Cast

As far as the actual DVD goes, I don't know since I haven't seen it. But I didn't think much of the review. I have a feeling after watching both videos that it is meant for those whose experience is primarily on streams and none in salt water. And his technique is easy to learn so those anglers can get a fly out.

The reviewer seems to think that tight loops and high line speed are too difficult to learn and too labor intensive to throw.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 11-23-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Edit in Red. Ran out of brains late last night.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Seajay,

Casting into a headwind is good practice and very cool to watch. I stood on the dock last winter with a 7 wt, WF floating casting into a sustained wind of 30 knots coming at me from 11:00 o'clock, just throwing tight loops at a finger pier piling about 45' away.

This was the most dramatic proof of Lefty's statement that "The fly goes in the direction that the tip was going when it stopped". With tight loops and without that high a line speed, the loop appeared to take a big curve into the wind like it was drawn to the piling by some mysterious magnetic force.

What was actually happening was that both the rod leg and the fly leg behind the loop was being blown out to the right and angling the loop face to the left, directly into the wind. The loop face itself went in a direct line to the piling, like a bird dog "dogtracking" in front of the pickup on a dirt road on the way to the hunt. But the line in the air (and a moment later on the water) looked like it had taken a big curve to get to the piling.

It was very cool, and I wished I had a camera that would record it because the "curve" was so magical.

If you are fishing for fish that can be caught in windy weather, don't be intimidated by wind. Just don't plan on being able to cast as far directly, or close to directly, into it. Usually, you can get closer to fish in those conditions anyhow.

Seajay: Here's a link to a discussion/debate about casting into the wind by some of the best casters/fishermen/instructors from at least 3 continents. As a bonus, it includes a difference of opinion (with a 2 second video clip) between two distance casters/professional fishing guides over what is and isn't a tight loop.

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...=5;t=9709;st=0

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 11-23-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Found a good link for Seajay