The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Single handed spey casting

Diver Dan... that is all well and good but the single-handed spey casts I'm talking about or in very small streams with casts in the 20-30' range at best. No need at all for special rods or lines. Sometimes we go for hours or even a whole day never with an overhead cast. There is simply no room when wading in a rhodo tunnel that is 10' wide. What IS needed is a way to go from left to right or vice-versa when roll casting with crossing your line and tangling.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Diver Dan... that is all well and good but the single-handed spey casts I'm talking about or in very small streams with casts in the 20-30' range at best. No need at all for special rods or lines. Sometimes we go for hours or even a whole day never with an overhead cast. There is simply no room when wading in a rhodo tunnel that is 10' wide. What IS needed is a way to go from left to right or vice-versa when roll casting with crossing your line and tangling.
Yah, I know. The last post I was talking about something someone said about two hand rods. I don't change lines or rods to do single hand spey casts either. What I was referring to there is strictly two hand stuff. Like in Scandi style casting the top hand does almost none of the work while the bottom hand does almost all of it. They use shorter heavy heads and faster action rods with shorter top grips. Traditional two hand casting uses longer heads and the top hand does most of the work. In my case at least 80%, while the bottom hand does very little. The top grip needs to be longer because the cast is not done the same. In fact a traditional action rod is very slow. More modern lines has made for faster action rods. Still not as fast as a Scandi rod.

On a side note I just tried doing some single hand spey casts with my Canadian friends 6 weight with a $10 K-Mart 4 wt line on it. That's 5 wts. under what people keep saying you need to do to spey cast. (overline by 3) I did a snap T and shot line. Probably got 60 feet or better. No long head and underlined by 2. No special rod, no special line. In fact I'll bet you I can get the 30' you are talking about without a rod at all and the reel taped to my elbow. In fact I am going to go do it tomorrow and video tape it. Hopefully it will put an end to the OVERLINE BY 3 WEIGHTS thing once and for all. I don't know where it started but it's like a dang Vampire. You can shoot it full of holes and it keeps coming back at you.

As for what do you need to get 20 to 30 feet, that does not get the whole head out of the rod so you really don't need to do a spey cast at all. In fact if you have a short rod, say 7' and an equally short leader, you need less than 6 feet of line out of the rod (how long is your arm?) to get 20'. You can't get an anchor point with that little amount of line out of the rod so a spey cast is technically not even possible. (No anchor no spey cast And how tall are you? Does the line even make it to the water?) Even a 30' cast does not get half the head out so it would be tough to do a real spey cast. I have in real close spots like you seem to be describing grabbed the fly, pinched the line to the grip and pulling on the fly load the rod, pointing it at the spot and sling it at it. kinda like shooting a bow. I'm not even sure what that's called, and I have not done it in a long time because this is all big water here.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Okay then... 40-50' casts? I was guessing the distance but I ain't lying about the need for the snake roll and others either. Sometimes you just have to go from here to there without crossing your line.

I think you're referring to the bow and arrow cast. Another staple in the mountain creeks and one of the few casts you can practice in your living room.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
This is what I was thinking of when I read your post. Don't know if it'd work on the water you're talking about. I saw it quite a while back and thought this guy is incredibly smooth and a hell of a caster.