The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Single handed spey casting (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/7508-single-handed-spey-casting.html)

Leahcim 01-25-2009 11:42 AM

Single handed spey casting
 
I been watching some spey casting on Utube, unbelievably beautiful, approaching surreal. I can't justify the expense of a new outfit, but would like to learn some single handed techniques. Do i get Scott Mackenzies DVD and try to adapt or is their single handed spey info available? Thanks

Frank Whiton 01-25-2009 12:36 PM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Hi Leahcim,

There are a couple of DVD's that give single handed casts. I have not seen any of them. Here is one from Kaufmann's Streamborn.

The Art of Spey Casting is 3hrs 30minutes long. That would be a big bang for the buck. I would call Kaufmann's and ask them how much single handed casting is in the DVD. If you buy a DVD please let us know which one you choose and how good it is.

Here is some more information about The Art of Spey Casting from The Fly Shop:

Basic and advanced Spey instruction for both single and double-handed rods from 17 world experts (Siem, Rajeff, Anderson, Gawesworth,Choate, etc.). Shot in San Francisco, produced by Sage and narrated by Lani Waller.

With this additional information it seems like a good choice.

Frank

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/i...SDSCDVD/fs.jpg

the Art Of Spey Casting For Single- And Double-Handed Rods

Jeffery Pill. Learn the basic and advanced Spey casting techniques for both single and two-handed rods. Watch and learn as 17 of the world's best casters share their styles and skills through multi-camera coverage of easy-to-follow demonstrations on rivers in actual fishing situations. Chapters include 13 demonstrations of Spey casting techniques plus six bonus chapters. DVD, 3 hours 30 minutes.

Jackster 01-25-2009 09:11 PM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Simon Gawesworth has an excellent spey casting video that covers a lot of two-handed casting but also nicely covers single-handed spey work.
He hooked me on single handed spey casting at the shows he used to do in Charlotte. Even though we fish a lot of small streams down here, he showed the value of spey techiques for roll casting darn near anywhere you wanted to. His technique was great. He took of his shoes and socks and waded the casting lane at the shows tossing neat little single-handed spey casts all over the pond. If he is at a show near you it's well worth watching him if he is doing the small stream single-handed demonstration.
Here's a teaser on his DVD:
DVDs

randyflycaster 01-26-2009 08:40 AM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
The Mackenzie video doesn't have much about single-handed spey casting. What I wonder about is if single-handed spey casting works better when we overline our fly rods about three-weights. (Which is what we should do if we use a traditional line on a spey rod.)

Randy

Jackster 01-26-2009 09:09 AM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 46545)
The Mackenzie video doesn't have much about single-handed spey casting. What I wonder about is if single-handed spey casting works better when we overline our fly rods about three-weights. (Which is what we should do if we use a traditional line on a spey rod.)

Randy

Simons techniques work just fine with your standard floating line. So good in fact, I never even considered a change in lines.
Understand though, the s/h spey casts I'm making are no further than a traditional roll cast. I'm using the s/h mainly for change of direction on a roll cast on order to not have the line cross over itself or to set up the next cast.

BigCliff 01-26-2009 09:28 AM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 46545)
The Mackenzie video doesn't have much about single-handed spey casting. What I wonder about is if single-handed spey casting works better when we overline our fly rods about three-weights. (Which is what we should do if we use a traditional line on a spey rod.)

Randy

The answer to that is no. However, I do find that a medium action tends to spey cast better than a fast one. I also think long bellied WFF lines (SA's XXD, Rio's Nymph) spey cast MUCH better than a normal WFF. A DT will work better still.

Jackster 01-26-2009 09:46 AM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 46553)
The answer to that is no. However, I do find that a medium action tends to spey cast better than a fast one. I also think long bellied WFF lines (SA's XXD, Rio's Nymph) spey cast MUCH better than a normal WFF. A DT will work better still.

That is interesting. Does that hold true even if the head is never outside of the rod?

Guest1 07-22-2011 11:02 PM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 43551)
The Mackenzie video doesn't have much about single-handed spey casting. What I wonder about is if single-handed spey casting works better when we overline our fly rods about three-weights. (Which is what we should do if we use a traditional line on a spey rod.)

Randy

I was looking at a different thread and this thread popped up in the "related posts" at the bottom of the page. First let me say I strongly suggest you use spey lines and spey lines only on spey rods. Over lining 3 weights is a statement that has popped up a few times. I don't know how this kind of stuff gets started but in my opinion is not only wrong but explitive deleted wrong.

First the spey rod thing. Spey rods all have a grain window. The amount of weight, top and bottom end the rod works best with. This grain window should be followed like it was handed down from Moses carved in stone. Regardless of the type of line used and it should always be a spey line.

Second the grain window rule applies to switch rods as well. You can use a traditional single hand line or a spey line as long as the lines falls in the grain window for the rod. You will like a spey line better, and second best, key word being second, is a traditional line with a longer than the normal 30' shooting head. On this type of line if the head and the running line are not different colors, you will need to mark where the head/running line junction is.

Third, overlining a single hand rod by three weight is just not a good idea. Even if you needed to overline three weights to make it work, why would you wreck the overhead casting ability of the rod to do a type of cast that face it, if you were going to do it all the time why not just get a spey rod. However. You do not need to overline the rod AT ALL. If you want to spey cast with a single hand rod, just mark where the head/Running Line junction is and because you need to have the head out of the rod to do these casts or at least very close to all the way out. The best lines for doing spey casts on a single hand rod are lines like the Trevor Morgan line. It has a green running line and a white head that is 43 1/2' long on the 7 wt. line. The last time this came up, I made a video to show just how wrong the idea you need to overline by 3 weights to do this is. I used a single hand 8 weight rod and the Trevor Morgan 7 weight line. So I am underlined by a full weight. 9' leader, plus the 9 foot on rod, plus the 43 1/2' of shooting head puts the fly 61 1/2' -10% for squiggles = about 60' away just rolling the head out. Shoot another 10 or 15' of running line and, well you get the idea. Once you get used to the rod and the line you should be able to shoot 20' of running line fairly easily. Here is video. Four line weights under what people keep saying you need.

The only reason I revived this old dead thread is because someone, like it happened to me, may see this pop up one day in the Similar Threads thing at the bottom. I'd hate to see someone go and buy a line 3 weights to heavy for the rod they own only to find out later at the cost of $??? just how wrong this notion is. Randy was just asking the question here but it has popped up in other spots where it was a statement and not a question. Nobody in this thread involved.



Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 43559)
The answer to that is no. However, I do find that a medium action tends to spey cast better than a fast one. I also think long bellied WFF lines (SA's XXD, Rio's Nymph) spey cast MUCH better than a normal WFF.

I agree, a more moderate rod will spey cast better. The rod I was using in this video is a pretty fast action rod. The long bellied lines is right on. Another good one is the AirFlo 40+ Expert. It's head is 44'

randyflycaster 07-23-2011 09:21 AM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Diver Dan,

Your point is well taken. Some of us, when we're starting out with spey casting, don't have the money to buy a spey line, but we might have a traditional line three or four weights higher than our spey rod. According to the folks at Rio, the line will work.

Will it work on a traditional fly rod if we want to spey cast? Probably not.

I believe the best Spey Casting video is Rio's Modern Spey Casting. The Mackenzie video is for casting long-belly lines.

IMHO, when it comes to spey casting, different lines require different kinds of casts.


Randy

Guest1 07-23-2011 02:09 PM

Re: Single handed spey casting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 290365)
IMHO, when it comes to spey casting, different lines require different kinds of casts.


Randy

Absolutely. Traditional style casting works with longer heads where as Scandi style works better with faster rods and much shorter heads.

I recently talked to someone who was trying a new spey rod with a single hand line. I told him I would not do it because not only are the heads to short but he will likely develope bad habits that may be hard to break once he can afford the line.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.