The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM

maddybrown is on a distinguished road
Casting Error

I just started working the fly in the surf. So I'm trying to get down double hauling and shooting more line than I'm use to. I'm a lefty caster and I'm having issues hitting myself usually in the back or my casting arm, as I'm coming from my backcast into my forward cast. Usually happens as I get out a fair amount of line, or when the wind is blowing into my casting side. Starting to happen regularly that I'm afraid to shoot a lot of line, as a tungsten head with a #2 hook doesn't feel good!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Casting Error

Try casting with the rod tipped a little. When the wind really pipes-up onto your casting side, turn your entire body around and present the back cast. It takes a little practice but isn't that far removed from a normal cast.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM

maddybrown is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to visualizing what you said, but I'm not really making sense of what you mean? Back towards the water, and presenting the fly on the back cast?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm trying to visualizing what you said, but I'm not really making sense of what you mean? Back towards the water, and presenting the fly on the back cast?
What it sounds like to me, though I could be wrong, it happens , is that if you are casting left handed, and the wind starts blowing from your left hand side, blowing the fly towards you. Then I think, if I'm getting this right, Jackster is saying to turn your body so that the wind is blowing from your right hand side, blowing the fly away from you. Then, if you are attempting to reach a spot behind you, you should use your forward motion like you would your back cast and use your backward motion as the forward cast, presenting the fly to the water while your arm is behind you... then you can turn around and to hook the fish. I hope I got that right, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't even know if that answered your question, but I hope it did.

HookEmHorns
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddybrown View Post
Yup! It's almost standard operating procedure on the salt when the wind somehow knows to blow on your casting side!

Assume the same position you would ordinarily but facing the land instead of the water then make a back cast your presentation cast. This is my favorite for getting distance in a strong breeze from the wrong side.

Another couple of wind cheats is to cast as you always do, but with the rod arm crossing your body keeping the rod on your downwind side or using pretty much a standard cast with with the rod TIP over your downwind side of your head. These two seem to be less powerful for me as they prevent a long casting stroke.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 AM

jaybug is on a distinguished road
Re: Casting Error

For one thing, you should cast over left or right side depending on conditions like wind especially. It's not that hard after you try a few times. How big is the surf? I think surf is one of the hardest places to fish. It might be good to practice some place else like a lawn or pond. It sounds like your cast needs some help from someone more knowledgeable about casting than me. You might find some help with YouTube.com. I've enjoyed watching casting instruction on YouTube and fly tying, etc..
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybug View Post
It sounds like your cast needs some help from someone more knowledgeable about casting than me.
Like a certified casting instructor who has solved this very same problem for numerous people?
Find A Certified Instructor
Seek one out in your neck-of-the-woods. They can instantly see and correct what you're doing wrong and demonstrate corrections.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Presenting on backcast works.... but not well
A better way is the cast Jackster mentioned with the rod angled over your head
The casting motion was described to me as being similar to brushing your hair.
It's not easy, but it's more accurate than presenting on the backcast

A year ago at a casting clinic, I asked Bob Clouser what was the best way to deal with wind over your casting shoulder.
He just looked at me for second and with a straight face said...MOVE
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I struggled with getting hit by the fly for years. No matter how much I read about fly casting I couldn't find the answers I was looking for, so for four years I practiced on my own.

There are a lot of causes for an angler getting hit with the fly, such as waiting for the back cast to unroll, then the fly bounces, and adds slack to your line. This kills your cast.

(When casting long-distance, or heavy flies, I begin my forward cast before my back cast unrolls.)

If you want, check out what I've learned. I think it will spare you from going through the frustation I did:

Long Distance Fly Casting Techniques | Randy Kadish |Double Haul

Randy
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fly fishing the surf is my favorite way to fish.
Something that sticks in my brain whenever the wind is howling is this quote from Lou Tabory
Quote:
When the wind is in your face, the fish are at your feet.