The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

If I have students that tend to break their wrist, I teach them point finger on top. You can't break your wrist.
Students that don't break their wrist I show them the key in the ignition hold.
To power, I put thumb on top....Joan Wulff got me into that habit (her Winston has the bent)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I do the thumb on top for power, index finger for accuracy. ...Just point your finger where you want the fly to go

The problem with my grip is that I sometimes squeeze too tight. One of my 8wts is on it's 3rd cork and right now the one on my 10wt is held together with epoxy and medical tape. I have to make a conscious effort to relax my grip. Not always easy when you have other things on your mind.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The problem with my grip is that I sometimes squeeze too tight. One of my 8wts is on it's 3rd cork and right now the one on my 10wt is held together with epoxy and medical tape. I have to make a conscious effort to relax my grip.
I have a few lumps of coal. Can I send them to you for you to do that Superman trick of squezing them until they turn to diamonds?
It is true... It's science!
Answers.com - How strong is Superman

50/50 split sound fair?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys and Joni,
The point behind starting this thread the insistence some authors have about the thumb being on top. It would seem that the members here don't have such a dogmatic view, and are much more flexible in their methods. I'm not kidding when I say that I simply couldn't cast more than 15 feet if I held a rod with my thumb on top. Exaggerating maybe, but not kidding....
Old 12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
brian_mcg is on a distinguished road

When it come's to rod grip I don't think it matters much as long as you are comfy with it. Grip can be classed as Style, and not substance in casting.

Brian
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_mcg View Post
When it come's to rod grip I don't think it matters much as long as you are comfy with it. Grip can be classed as Style, and not substance in casting.

Brian
As a fellow instructor, does this question not come up when you're teaching?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:12 AM
brian_mcg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
As a fellow instructor, does this question not come up when you're teaching?
Yes it Does. In fact we were discussing this on the uk Forum the other night.
The question would be . Explain what the difference is between style and substance.

Brian
Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

With two different casting classes I've had taught with the thumb up on the cork and the elbow close to the body. For me that was more natural to grip the rod this way. I've tried casting with the finger on the cork, but found that i had to turn my wrist counter clockwise which is uncomfortable for me. My hand would want to change to the V grip. Then I would loose control and timing. With the V grip, my wrist would break and my stop points became inconsistant.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Though i have not put any thought into it...im a thumb on top caster. Odd i suppose as im self taught...well as much as anyone can be self taught in the last decade with youtube and whatnot
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Try slightly bending your thumb. You might also want to try a V-grip - putting your thumb and index finger on the sides of the handle.
I'm a V grip guy also.