The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

i've only ever had the finger on top once - earlier this year when i sprained my wrist in a bike crash two weeks before a trip dry fly fishing for my buddy's brithday. Didnt want to cancel the trip and casting with the thumb on top as have always done was just too painful.
i managed it ok with the finger on top, but will always be using the thumb. Just how i learned it. so i guess each to their own. I know i can definitely throw more line with a healthy wrist thumb on top rather than finger on top.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I may have missed this in the comments, but when I took an Orvis intro course they taught thumb on top in order to keep the arm in alignment in order to prevent muscle strain (or something). However, the few times I've been fly fishing I've tended to slide more in to the grip that Frank has shown. We'll see when my rod comes in this week!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

This one look comfortable, but have not had one in my hands... yet
http://www.siestacorktiles.co.uk/maniform.htm
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Not paying much attention the past 20+ years, I decided to do so the past few outings. The results...light rod casting w/ dry flies and nymphs...index finger. Heavier rod casting...size 2 poppers and clousers...thumb. But I turn my reel facing outward when I am casting the bigger stuff. Go figure. maybe coz I'm a lefty OR...I am just plain abinormal
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I may have missed this in the comments, but when I took an Orvis intro course they taught thumb on top in order to keep the arm in alignment in order to prevent muscle strain (or something). However, the few times I've been fly fishing I've tended to slide more in to the grip that Frank has shown. We'll see when my rod comes in this week!
I think you must have misunderstood or they were wrong.

Open up up your hand, spread the fingers apart and look at your palm. Is your thumb lined up with your forearm? Which digit is closer to being lined up with your forearm, your index finger or your thumb? When you point, do you point with your thumb or with you index finger so the digit is line up with your arm?

Now with your palm still open and looking at it, cock your wrist inward so that your thumb does lines up with your forearm. Does that feel natural to you?

During a cast, if your thumb is to line up with your forearm, you need to keep your wrist cocked forward to keep the rod from flopping back. That is why the three point grip helps to prevent this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Having watched this thread for some time I'm left wondering whatever was Orvis thinking when they offered the Wes Jordan commemorative rod in their 125th anniversary year. The rods have a thumb notch on the top of the cork. Sometimes I wonder,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Having watched this thread for some time I'm left wondering whatever was Orvis thinking when they offered the Wes Jordan commemorative rod in their 125th anniversary year. The rods have a thumb notch on the top of the cork. Sometimes I wonder,

Ard
So does Joni's Joan Wulff Favorite.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just noticed this in a picture on the Show Us Your Photography thread!

Proof! I have my thumb on top of the cork of my rod. Weird thing is that my arm seems to be in a direct line with the rod, I look comfortable, I must fish this way.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-31-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, my Orvis instructor was all about the thumb-on-top-arm-straight-in-line approach... and if it's good enough for Ard, it's gotta be good for a noob like me!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I like my JWF, and I guess on several occasions my thumb is on the top to pound it home. But like someone else mentioned, I also find I have the reel out to the side sometimes as well, and I am holding with the "Key in the door" grip.

If I have a student that keeps breaking their wrist, I do have then point down the cork (finger on top straight out) It does seem harder to break your wrist that way.