The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM

maddybrown is on a distinguished road
Default Still Working On the Cast

Thank you to everyone who has giving me positive input from my "Casting Errors" post. Since hitting the salt, I've been learning to double haul a shooting head w/a broom stick, aka Winston BIIMX 8 wt., which has opened this "southpaw's" eyes to how sorely my casting mechanics are in need of mending. I've was always been aware that my casting was probably "subpar", but always kept casting to a minimum, using the "lesser line is on the water the lesser the fish" adage. Now that this issue has gotten my attention I've been performing daily casting sessions anywhere I can find open turf trying to break down and recognize my mechanical failures. Progress slow, but happening; hard to "break" bad habits when poorly executed for so long. What I've discovered today is that my loops, especially on the backcast, are maybe not tight enough. Appear to be quite open, maybe I'm not accelerating my "power stroke" fast enough, or that I'm stopping the rod too early, stopping closer to 11 o'clock. I think I've been doing the latter, as the rod is extremely stiff and the tip appears to load more efficiently w/a shorter stroke. Then on the forward cast the tip of the line tends to travel below, or sideways to the line. It's forming a loop, usually wide, but the tip is traveling below the bottom of the loop. If that makes sense. I also recognized that I'm not allowing the rod to fully load on the forward stroke, I don't think the tip is bending as my cast is coming forward. It's if I'm "arming" it forward. I also practiced across the body casting, over my right shoulder, and I actually achieving better loops and lay outs. Go figure? Anyways, I'm fully aware and committed to practice practice practice. But always welcome to input. Thanks again everyone. Maddy B
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still Working On the Cast

Shooting heads are a whole 'nuther story!

If it's a traditional head in the 30-40' range, practice with just a bit of overhang (running line past the tip) 6" to a few feet of overhang should do it. Play around with the amount of overhang until you find the sweet spot for you and your style.
Nowhere is fewer false casts more important than when using heads. One, maybe two back cast are all you need to make that line hit the next county IF you're running the right head/rod combo.

Good luck! Once you 'get it' you will be amazed.

Oh, it's hard to make the line go without a good stop.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

It's almost impossible to diagnose casting problems from a post. Many defects can cause the same symptoms, so many of the solutions offered will only make things worse, I'm sorry to say.

As for the wide back cast loop, you cast is underpowered. Why? There are many possibilities. Also, right after you make the abrupt back cast stop (without breaking your wrist) you might be drifting the rod back without realizing it. This will add slack to your line and weaken your cast.

On the forward cast hard to tell without seeing. You might have a swiging loop, which means you're not casting the rod the same plane and instead you're curving your casting stroke. (The rod tip should always move in a straight line.)

BTW, what casting style are you using? Are you casting like Lefty Kreh - you're back foot is well behing your front foot or are your feet squarer to the target.

Randy
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I agree with Randy. Although, I'm not the person to judge anyone's casting ability as I am relatively new to this sport....BUT, I will add this:

I've found that if I tried to force it, it makes it harder. Once you get the flow, it becomes easier and smoother. It's hard to describe, but I found this out on the water last fall. When I tried to force it out to where I wanted, it became a mess. When I started again and let the rod do the work, I could put it where I wanted. Some of my loops were tight, some were not.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello maddybrown, everyone has given you great advice and insight into casting. I'm not an expert on fly casting nor am I certified but if you haven't tried a wrist lock device of some kind, you might and if you do you'll immediately find a fault or two in your casting stroke if it exists there.

You can make your own or there are even some commercial models out there. To make one, a simple wristband that fastens with velcro would work or you can fashion one from a piece of cord...just something to try the theory.

How you would use the wrist lock would be to have it around your wrist, then tuck the butt of your flyrod under it. This will hold the butt of the rod closer to the plane of your arm, helping the rod to become more of an extension of same.

With your rod 'locked' to your wrist, you'll immediately notice that there are a couple of
things you can't do. One is that you won't be able to rock your wrist much and if that was hurting your cast you'll see the difference right away. Another is that with a square stance, you won't be able to drop the rod tip as much on the backcast.

Give a wrist lock a try if you haven't and let everyone know what you think maddybrown. If you do I hope it helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose