The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 AM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Distance casting goal

The reason for my original post is that I want to give trout fishing a try. I've been assembling gear and doing some back-yard practicing. I want to be reasonably competent before I make a trip and now I'm content now that I won't be at a disadvantage with 60 feet being my maximum range. I just don't want to finalize plans for a trip before I am ready. You guys have put my mind at ease and I'll now be concentrating on accuracy, mends, etc.

I think I've about gotten all the gear I need except some waders. I'll probably buy some cheap ones since I doubt I'll be do a lot of trout fishing--the nearest trout streams being over 7 hours away (southeast Oklahoma and southwest Arkansas).

Hopefully, I'll make it to the Lower Mountain Fork River in Oklahoma in the next month or so and I won't make a fool of myself on the water.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Normal casting distance for a 5 weight

Hi tbacala,

It sounds like you have a good plan. You might want to work on the reach cast which I use a lot. It will help you to get a better drag free drift. You won't need to be making 60' cast. Concentrate on the 20' to 45' and you will do great.

For down stream cast you should know the Wiggle Cast. It is a slack line cast that will deliver a fly to a fish that is below you with no drag. You make you normal forward cast with moderate line speed and as the line starts to fall you wiggle the rod tip horizontally in front of you. The line will lay on the water with snake like bends in the line. You can practice this on the lawn. If you do it right the leader and fly will lay straight out in front of you. The fly line will have a series of snake like bends getting bigger and bigger as the line gets closer to the rod tip.

Frank
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I consider myself an average caster,60-65'. I feel it's a bit like shooting a bow. Some days I can have good grouping at 30 yards consistantly. Other days, it's a lot harder to have regular grouping at those distances
Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would say that line management is MUCH more important for someone to learning to trout fish than casting distance. A drag-free drift is much more important. Find some moving water near you and practice using mends to keep a foam fly moving at exactly the same speed as the other things floating on the river.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a video of Dave Whitlock casting, and you can see how accuracy is
more important than distance: CLICK HERE

BTW, that guide method of walking with his rod made me wince!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I don't think anyone is denying presentation and accuracy is of the utmost importance. Distance techniques can come in quite handy though when the wind pipes up or you're fishing the salt or even when bass fishing.
There is no downside to casting well.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
There is no downside to casting well.
I absolutely agree, Jackster! I just wanted to show the Whitlock video .
Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's Line

Thanks for the information that all of you have provided. As a follow up, I bought some Cabela's Prestige Plus WF5F this past weekend mainly because it was on sale for $20.

The Cabela's line has given me 5+ extra feet in my casting distance compared to the older Orvis line I've been using. More important to me than the extra distance is that I can feel this line better and it seems easier to throw accurate casts with. For the price, I'm impressed although I really don't have much experience with other brands.

I noticed on another forum that this line is supposed to be made by SA and is an older version of Mastery GPX. I don't know if this is correct, but the person making the post claimed to be a knowledgeable employee of Cabela's.

In any event, I'm really not working on distance anymore, instead, I'm working on accurate casting. With a yard full of fallen leaves, there is no lack of targets to cast too.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tbacala-

Whereabouts are you? There should be some water around even if it doesn't hold trout.

It sounds like your casting is pretty good. If you can, follow up on Big Cliff's suggestion and "fish" some moving water around you. Just make sure it's legal, and the stream isn't closed for the season. Try picking out targets, casting some dries to seams in current, casting in front of and behind rocks etc. and trying to get a good drift by mending line. You'll notice that the longer the cast, the more likely the line will be going across different current speeds, making it harder to get a good drift--- one of the reasons that 20' casts catch so many fish-- it's much easier to control 20' of line on moving water than 60', and waaaay easier than 90'.

You can also try throwing some nymphs and bouncing them along the bottom, and casting and retrieving weighted flies like woolly buggers. See if you can upstream cast and mend line so you can feel them ticking along the bottom as you follow them with your rod tip. Cast at an angle across and downstream and let it swing below you in the current. It'll give you a good feel for what it'll be like on a trout stream, and you may even pick up some panfish or bass which will be pretty cool.

Practicing on a stream will also help in other ways-- for one thing it'll introduce you to trees on your backcast, and teach you to look behind you. You can also work on a "roll cast" for times when you don't have any room behind you- it's a hard cast to practice on land since it relies on the fly line's resistance to the water to load the rod.

Mark
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM

taney is on a distinguished road

the tailwaters that i've fished with my 5 weight, cast longer than 60 feet are not required. setting the hook beyond 60 feet is next to impossible with 6 or 7x tippet.