The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Normal casting distance for a 5 weight

What is the "normal" casting range for a 5 weight rod?

There are a lot of threads here on distance casting, but I can't seem to figure out what the typical casting range is for a 5 weight rod. Right now, I can comfortably cast about 60 feet (not counting the leader/tippet) with a double haul. Loading my rod with 6 weight line I can get an extra 5 feet or so. I have absolutely no idea if I am the ballpark of normal casting distance.

In case it makes a difference, the 5 weight line I am using is some older Orvis WF floating line and the 6 weight line is Cabela's Presitige Plus...also WF floating.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Normal casting distance for a 5 weight

10' to what ever. Depends on the rod and caster. Put Sharkskin on and you'll get an extra 15'-20'.
My 5w McF Para glass will easily get out over 60' if I push it. My McF GTX which is a very fast rod sees backing. My LT is good to about 60' and then fades. It's just how the rod was designed. Most fish are caught in 10'- 40' ranges. It's the accuracy of the rod that should make it shine. Most of the time I cast to fish, so I depend on accuracy.
How far do you want to cast?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

In some casting competitions where they dictate the use of factory built 5 weights casts to over 100' are not too rare.
Try underlining that rod of yours if you want more distance. It seems add but the lighter line will allow you to carry more line without overtaxing the rod.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. As to the question of how far I want to cast, well, I just don't want to be "sub-par" in my ability. If 60 feet is pretty normal then I'll be satisfied. If that maximum is short then I'll keep working to improve my distance. There are so many posts that talk about 80 and 90 foot casts, I wasn't sure if that distane is what most fly casters can do or if it extraordinary to be able to attain that kind of distance. Since it probably makes a difference, I should have mentioned that the rod I'm using is a Sage Launch. Any further comment/opinions would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

For trout fishing the cast that catches fish is between 15 to 40 feet. Casting any further than that becomes a challenge of an anglers ego, wanting to strive for greatness while landing you fly on the opposite shoreline. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of it running through my veins on most days and find myself having to reel up some line so I can get back to catching fish.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

60' with control and accuracy is quite admirable. the 80-90' range puts you probably in the top 10% of casters.
Just as in golf though, it's drive for show and putt for dough in fishing and competitions!
In most casting competitions I've seen, the accuracy at different ranges count more that the distances.
You should be able to catch all the fish you need at that 60' range.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
60' with control and accuracy is quite admirable. the 80-90' range puts you probably in the top 10% of casters.
Just as in golf though, it's drive for show and putt for dough in fishing and competitions!
In most casting competitions I've seen, the accuracy at different ranges count more that the distances.
You should be able to catch all the fish you need at that 60' range.
I'll second that.

Being able to put a fly in a teacup at 30', mend well, and place a fly sidearm under branches will get you into lots more fish than just being able to throw 110'.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

When I cast in my backyard, I can get close to 60' of line out from the
tip of the rod, to the leader loop. That was after a lot of practice, and without standing in wader up to my waist. I actually don't know how much
line I can cast on the water, as I've never measured it. Seems to be about
the same amount, however.

I fully agree that an accurate cast to 40 feet and less is essential any sort of
freshwater FF'ing. Distance may come into play on larger rivers and saltwater
fishing, but not being able to hit the spot on a small stream will ruin the whole
day.

I practice two things in my backyard: casting into the wind, and hitting targets at less than 45 feet.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Thanks again...

Thanks for all of the replies. I am now comfortable with my 60 foot range and won't feel compelled to continue trying to improve my casting distance. I guess the goal now should be to work on improving accuracy.

On a side note, any comments/opinions on Cabela's Prestige Plus line. It seems pretty decent to me and the price if right, but then again, I am a novice and haven't tried any of the expensive stuff.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tbacala,

The distance has a lot to do with what rod you are casting. Most cast are measured with a leader and fly included in the distance. You should be practicing with a leader (9') and fly or yarn attached. If you are casting sixty feet of fly line you are doing very well. Any further would just be for your own satisfaction. If you want to really get into distance casting you should look into competition.

Here is a link to the 2009 Best of the West casting competition. They use rods and lines that are available at any good fly shop. This year they are using the Sharkskin lines and I expected longer distances but that didn't happen. Study the video of Steve Rajeff. You can tell from the long pause between cast that he is carrying a bunch of line in the air. Also note the size of the tippet they are using.

Frank