The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road
Default Drifting Midges - Tippit Size

In water that is 6-8' deep relatively swift current I have been trying a 9' 5X leader with a weighted Nymph. What would be the correct size tippet (and length) for trailing a midge?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Drifting Midges - Tippit Size

Hi TnTom,

With the water you are describing you probably don't need to use a leader with a 5X tippet. The size of the nymph also impacts the proper tippet to use. I would use a 4X tippet with the midge on a 5X dropper. Based on the conditions and size of the nymph you could even use a 3X tippet and a 4X dropper.

Frank
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Depends on where you are fishing. Where I fish, there are some places that 5X is just fine. Others, however, still require a 6x tippet or smaller because the fish just do not respond as well to anything larger. I generally use a 5x leader with a 2 ft. section of 6x tippet tied on. I place a good searching pattern or river specific nymph on that and then tie another 2 ft section of 6x or even 7x onto that and add a small midge as a trailing fly - usually something in the 20-24 range, usually a mercuury pattern. But that's just the way I have found to be the most successful on the major rivers I fish here in Colorado.

I have to say that I feel indicator location and amount of weight are maybe more important that tippet size in the swifter, deeper holes.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

i was once told by an old timer: think about what size fly you want to use, we'll say size 16. now divide that by 3 and you get 5.3 or just 5. so now your leader and tippet should be about 4x-5x. depending on clearity of course. gin clear water them numbers better get bigger.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

Iv'e recently see the 4/by and the 3/by and it does seem to be a good guide line to get it going.