The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Magoo79 is on a distinguished road
Default casting with outbound

Hello, I picked up some rio outbound short head line. I went out the other day casting for pike. My setup is a Sage TCR 10wt and Rio coldwater outbound short head. I normally don't have any issues with casting my 9wt lines and below using trout tapers, and my SA musky taper line in 9wt. I'm planning on casting much bigger wind resistant flies with my 10wt which is why I opted for the outbound. I am finding that when try to cast with the short head outbound if I try to air out more than 30-35 feet, or a little past the shooting head to get more momentum it feels like my rod just breaks down and I don't have any power, but if I shorten it up a little and shoot it I can get probably 50ft on a good cast with no wind. Any ideas on a more productive way of casting a line like this? is there a special technique I should be using? I plan on doing more practice, but I don't want to practice bad habits if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: casting with outbound

Shooting heads are a whole new ballgame to cast but they are a blast once figured out!
That Outbound is an integrated shooting head but a head just the same.
I find it works best with a certain amount of head out past the tip... anywhere from a few inches to a few feet (you have to learn the overhang that is right for you through trial and error), one good back cast then a nice haul on the forward and let 'er rip!
It's not really made to aerialize and false cast like a long belly line. That thin running line combined with with meaty head is just a mess when flung back and forth.
You did get the weight made for your rod I hope. Since it's a Rio, they already up lined it two sizes if you ordered a 10 for your 10 weight. Conventional knowledge says to go up a line weight or two when using heads. Rio has already done that for you.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Jackster's advice is right on. One tip that might help: cast on grass somewhere and figure out what that ideal overhang amount is. Once your fairly sure you've found it, take a permanent marker and make a full foot of line at your rod tip black. That way you'll know when to stop stripping in line or working it out so you can pick up, backcast, haul on the forward cast, and send that thing flying.

With a shooting head, false casting is NOT your friend. You also may find that you'll need to slow down your forward cast a bit compared to the usual. (especially the usual of a TCR) Once you find the sweet spot, you'll likely be able to from 30' to 75+ with one cast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'll 3rd the advice above. I think your line will have a green 30' head, and creamy colored running line? Try casting with the green head and a couple of feet of the cream running line out.

You may want to add a double haul. There are vids out there, but this explanation is pretty good: Fly Fishing Techniques, Double Haul - MidCurrent

You should be able to shoot a ton with that line. If you're musky fishing you may often retrieve right up to the boat. A couple of flips with your rod should get all the head out of the tip, then let it rip.

mark
Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

All of the above information should work for you and get you fishing. Cliff's idea will help a lot but I like to do it a little different.

Here is how I do it. After you get the line out of the tip figured out, I like to mark the fly line at the point that I hold the fly line to make the cast. An inch or two long mark will be about right. Just color the line all around with a black permanent marker. You can also mark the line right at the first shooting guide. So when you are ready to cast you have the line out the tip. The mark is at the first shooting guide or the mark is in your hand. You will always know when you have the right amount of line out to make your cast.

Frank
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM

dman will become famous soon enough

Would all that has been said be true for an Outbound clear
/ intermediate?...except color of course...

Good info...thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks Guys, I have been practicing casting that way when i got home from work. I do find however that when I'm casting, although I'm getting power I'm getting a wicked tailing loop. The tip of the head starts off on top from my rod tip, but then it just drops while it's shooting, to the point where a couple times while the line was shooting the front part of the head was almost vertical. I think my mechanics may still be a little off.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM

OK, I've been doing more practice. I've been letting out line on my back cast to help load the rod, I find I have to let out nearly 20 or more feet in order to get the line to pull out of the rod on the back cast. I also seem to have to use more power to get the line to load the rod and shoot, although I have less line in the air than when I cast my TFO Professinal with 9wt SA pike/musky line.

My fly line also kind of seems like it isn't very smooth when trying to let out line at short distance. I tried taking a wet rag and cleaning the line but it still acts like it isn't very smooth. Being this is new line, Should I put a cleaner/conditioner on the line already?

Thanks,

Mike.