The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Casting Practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
casting to fish is not practice....I fish 4 to 6 days a week when possible, but still practice in between...Also casting a 5' 2wt and a 9' 12 wt is no differencs except the weight...all other aspects are the same...
Although I respect everyone's opinions on this site,I dissagree with this one.Of course casting to fish is practice,and I cant think of a better way to practice.It's kinda like saying practicing hockey on ice is not good practice.If you where to read my earlier post you will find that I said"once one has proper form and has a grip on the basic's(timing and what not)why not cast on the water?I agree LEARNING to cast on the water is not the most productive way to go about things,but for the life of me I can not figure out why anyone would choose to practice on dry land.(unless you are practicing long distance casting for compititions and such).How do you practice your roll cast with out the drag of the water?or work on your float tube casting while standing?When practicing on water you must simply change your mind set from "catching fish" to "casting practice".
Just my 2 cents that is probally only worth one.lol.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree that practicing on the water is the true test, but you can practice on land. You can never get too much.
Sit in a chair or kneel on the ground for float tube practice and a trick I learned from Dec. Take some mono, about 12', cut it into 1' sections. Tie them together with the barrel/blood knot leaving the tags about 1" long making the mono look like Barb Wire. This will grab the grass and give a good idea of the drag you get on water.
I practice a lot in my driveway which is about 80' long so a good run. I do it as you say for distance, but to also check out which line works best on different rods.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I practice almost too much. I liken it to hitting a bucket of balls, but a lot cheaper!
Practice to me consists of short distance accuracy, short, meduim and long distance loop control, distance, curve casts, roll casts, spey casts... all sorts of stuff with one main thing in mind... control.

I also compete and come to find that when it's crunch time those who don't practice enough get the jitters while those who let muscle memory take over and cast seemingly without thinking of it seem cool as a cucumber and do quite well.
The same holds true when fishing. If you have the basic casting strokes down pat all you need do is point and shoot.

One thing I see too often is people who practice yet don't realize they're engraining poor form. Poor form is MUCH harder to fix than having good, proper basics. Starting out it's especially important to get GOOD instruction so when you do practice it's fine tuning an already good basic stroke. With a good hands-on instructor you get instant feedback and means of correctioning casting flaws you might have.

Ain't casting grand?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM

RayJ is on a distinguished road

Doug is correct about practice. I've read thru the various responses and don't see anything about enhancing your strength. If you spend some time casting say 10 wt rods you will build up strength in your casting arm that will help you with the speed up/stop part of your stroke. Many of you will probably respond that it's not about strength and I understand exactly what you're saying. However if you spend long hours day after day casting a heavy rod on a trip to some exotic location you'll wish you had bult up a bit more strength in the old casting arm - TRUST ME !
Ray J
Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally Ray J. There is a certain amount of strength needed. I broke down and bought a BIIx 8wt because of that. This thing is like casting a 5wt, but a healthy chunk of change to do that.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I agree totally Ray J. There is a certain amount of strength needed. I broke down and bought a BIIx 8wt because of that. This thing is like casting a 5wt, but a healthy chunk of change to do that.
Joni, Joni, Joni...
Amazing rods arean't they?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM

With all the people claiming their Wally World specials are just as good, I feel it is because due to circumstances beyond their control, they have not had the pleasure of really feeling the difference.
I totally understand the financial burdons and that any rod will catch fish, I just prefer the pleasure of the high tech engineering of the more expensive rods and this 8wt proves it. However, I love my Zero and the new Helio.
But I also am torn with the Z-Axis and the Joan Wulff (which in my opinion are a very similar feel).

Okay, I admit it....I am a sympathetic snob and I am not loyal to any one rod maker LOL
Old 11-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Okay, I admit it....I am a sympathetic snob and I am not loyal to any one rod maker LOL

Hi Joni,

I was really worried about you and that Orvis bunch. Glad to see you coming over to the good guys.

I have not cast the Winston BIIx rod. I kind of stayed away from them thinking they all had that famous Winston feel and that was usually a softer feeling. Glad to hear you think it is a good, strong rod.

Frank
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM

jan is on a distinguished road

I practice in my front yard all the time. I use the street in front of my house for longer casts. I was suprized to find out how many fly fishing neighbors I had.... The neighborhood kids are all over it. Now we have an occasional Sunday afternoon casting contest. Most of the casting skills I have developed over the years has been off water.

Jim
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Not to worry Frank...I have a nice mix in the quiver, but Orvis is a large section.
I too like to get out and cast. I find what line tapers work best on which rod along with trying the different weights of line. For example, on my glass or bamboo, by playing with one line size smaller, I can cast better on windy days (faster) and vise versa.
Practice is a good thing in every thing we do if we want to improve.