The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM

traphunter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fast Action Rod

Thanks all for the replys, very helpful. Once this weather breaks, I will be doing some serious practicing.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

My first good rod was a very stiff, fast rod that I couldn't cast (590-2). I went back to the shop and they put a 6 wt. line on the 5 wt. rod, and I was able to cast it.

Later, I traded it in for a medium-fast action rod (Sage SP 590-2), which I loved, fished for over a decade and my wife currently fishes. Although I'm a better caster now, my preference is still for a medium-fast rod. I can feel the rod load, which helps me establish the proper rhythm for my cast. which makes me a better caster.

I believe beginners should get a medium of medium-fast action rod, particularly if like me they're of just average athletic ability. (I assume Ted Williams started with a baseball bat and did just fine.)
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
(I assume Ted Williams started with a baseball bat and did just fine.)
I believe Mr. Williams started with bamboo.
He knew better than to fish with a baseball bat

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Boy that brings back memories when i was a kid his name was on everything
Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Ted Who? What happened to the color in that picture? LOL just messin around with you guys. I couldn't resist taking a shot...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Generally with fast rods you must use a shorter, faster casting stroke. If your loops start to tail, it probably means your stroke is too fast and short.

Also, the more line you're casting the more you have to accelerate your cast.

Randy
Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

you may not be the right kind of person for a fast action...i have met many people that are very good flyfishermen and all they use is med/fast or what ever it is called not everyone can use fast
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Since traphunter got his information I will tell you my Ted Williams story.

Back before Sears started labeling their rods with Ted Williams name I had a non-Sears Ted Williams spinning rod. I paid a bit of money for it compared to some of the other spinning rods available in the 50's. It was a light line rod that I used two pound line on. Long after I stopped using that rod I kept it just because it was labeled Ted Williams but not Sears. Fast forward to the 70's and I am in Alaska. My son was there and wanted to go Salmon fishing on the Kenai River. I wasn't home and he took my little spinning rod and a casting reel that I had 25lb line on. So he rigged my spinning rod with the casting reel and proceeded to get hung up. He brought the rod home and the tip looked like it had exploded about mid-way. I really liked that little rod and never let my son forget it.

Frank
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM

redline is on a distinguished road

If you want a better understanding of rod action and the effect it will have on your cast and fishing have a look at this article on fishing rod action.

Cheers
Red
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Here's a brain buster. I recently test cast a Z-axis 490 and a TXL 4710. I was throwing nice tight stuff, and I was able to punch a couple 45 ft with the TXL without hauling or anything tricky. Then I picked up the Z-axis and my loop was tailing like crazy.

I went with the TXL, and I think I am going to be happy with it, but I'm left a little confused. I've got a med-fast 5 wt and I was eying up a fast action 5 wt. to compliment it and throw in a little more wind.