The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Fast Action Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/8815-fast-action-rod.html)

traphunter 04-06-2009 10:51 AM

Fast Action Rod

I am new to fly fishing, and I am having trouble casting my fast action rod. I have cast medium action rods before, and did just fine, but for some reason this fast action is giving me fits. I can not get it to go anywhere. I have read that fast action rods are not the best thing to start out on, but I purchased it because I want something that i can grow into.

So can anyone give me some advice on casting a fast action rod?
Are fast actions acceptable for casting dry flies in the 12-16 size range?

Thanks for any help.
Seth

BigCliff 04-06-2009 11:06 AM

Re: Fast Action Rod

First off, I disagree with the idea that a fast action rod is easiest for a beginner. Fast action rods don't bend as much during casting, and you need to learn to feel this bending to be able to cast effectively.

I would recommend getting help from an experienced casting instructor or a local club to help you out. If you give us your location, we might even be able to make some recommendations.

traphunter 04-06-2009 11:18 AM

I know they are not the best for beginners, I am a quick to pick things up though so I look forward to learning.

SkipS 04-06-2009 11:22 AM

BigCliff is right to recommend a casting instructor.This will help you immensly.If you liked the medium action rods,I would stick with them.They are more user friendly and better for most situations.Dont get the idea that you will grow into a fast rod.Many people just dont like them and unless your timing is perfect you will not get the most from them.I own rods from slow to fast and the med. to med/fast rods handle most conditions best but right now you should be looking a casting instructor.Local fly clubs are a good start.

swirlchaser 04-06-2009 01:21 PM

The main problem here is that fast action rods are not very forgiving. A slower rod will still allow you to cast even if your techinque is not up to par. With a fast action rod this is not the case. A fast action rod will usually throw faster but the window where the rod is loaded is much shorter. Your not casting because your missing this window.
Remember fast action doesn't mean fast cast. Slow down, shorten your stroke on both your back and forward cast. A fast action rod will load up with less effort but you will lose the sweet spot if your backcast is too far. Slow down, shorten your stroke and try to learn where the rod loads up.
Skips is 100% right, no matter how long your flyfishing, sometime a fast action rod is wrong for your style or the conditions your fishing in.

Good luck

FrankB2 04-06-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swirlchaser (Post 55517)
A fast action rod will usually throw faster but the window where the rod is loaded is much shorter. Your not casting because your missing this window.
Remember fast action doesn't mean fast cast. Slow down, shorten your stroke on both your back and forward cast. A fast action rod will load up with less effort but you will lose the sweet spot if your backcast is too far. Slow down, shorten your stroke and try to learn where the rod loads up.

I keep telling my wife this, but she gets amnesia sometimes :confused:. She
is currently in love with her Sage ZXL, but it definitely has a narrow sweet
spot, and less equals more. The ZXL is advertised as a medium-fast rod, but
that's all relative. It's a rod that wants to do the work, but you can't beat it
into working harder.

swirlchaser 04-06-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 55521)
I keep telling my wife this, but she gets amnesia sometimes :confused:. She
is currently in love with her Sage ZXL, but it definitely has a narrow sweet
spot, and less equals more. The ZXL is advertised as a medium-fast rod, but
that's all relative. It's a rod that wants to do the work, but you can't beat it
into working harder.

Its actually worse if you push it

FrankB2 04-06-2009 04:19 PM

Exactly. Her amnesia can usually be cured by having her watch me move the
rod tip in a 12-16 inch arc, and get better results.

Frank Whiton 04-06-2009 06:39 PM

Hi Seth,

I think we need to know more about what rod and fly line you have. Both rod length and line weight. You say you can't get it to go any where. Can you explain what you are doing and how much line you have out when you cast. Its probably more a technique problem rather than a problem with the rod.

So please give us a little more information. You may be using the wrong fly line. Your rod may need to be over lined until you work things out with your casting. New casters almost always flip the rod back and forth way to fast.

Frank

hardhat 04-06-2009 08:49 PM

Frank, I would say that you hit the nail on the head with your advice. I have seen beginners do extremely well with faster action rods. Wheras I have seen expereinced casters do much better with slower ones. I beleive that it has a lot to do with a persons physical nature, personality, how well they know their equipment, and what they practice with.
POP POP POP