The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM

traphunter is on a distinguished road
Default Fast Action Rod

I am new to fly fishing, and I am having trouble casting my fast action rod. I have cast medium action rods before, and did just fine, but for some reason this fast action is giving me fits. I can not get it to go anywhere. I have read that fast action rods are not the best thing to start out on, but I purchased it because I want something that i can grow into.

So can anyone give me some advice on casting a fast action rod?
Are fast actions acceptable for casting dry flies in the 12-16 size range?

Thanks for any help.
Seth
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fast Action Rod

First off, I disagree with the idea that a fast action rod is easiest for a beginner. Fast action rods don't bend as much during casting, and you need to learn to feel this bending to be able to cast effectively.

I would recommend getting help from an experienced casting instructor or a local club to help you out. If you give us your location, we might even be able to make some recommendations.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM

traphunter is on a distinguished road

I know they are not the best for beginners, I am a quick to pick things up though so I look forward to learning.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

BigCliff is right to recommend a casting instructor.This will help you immensly.If you liked the medium action rods,I would stick with them.They are more user friendly and better for most situations.Dont get the idea that you will grow into a fast rod.Many people just dont like them and unless your timing is perfect you will not get the most from them.I own rods from slow to fast and the med. to med/fast rods handle most conditions best but right now you should be looking a casting instructor.Local fly clubs are a good start.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem here is that fast action rods are not very forgiving. A slower rod will still allow you to cast even if your techinque is not up to par. With a fast action rod this is not the case. A fast action rod will usually throw faster but the window where the rod is loaded is much shorter. Your not casting because your missing this window.
Remember fast action doesn't mean fast cast. Slow down, shorten your stroke on both your back and forward cast. A fast action rod will load up with less effort but you will lose the sweet spot if your backcast is too far. Slow down, shorten your stroke and try to learn where the rod loads up.
Skips is 100% right, no matter how long your flyfishing, sometime a fast action rod is wrong for your style or the conditions your fishing in.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
A fast action rod will usually throw faster but the window where the rod is loaded is much shorter. Your not casting because your missing this window.
Remember fast action doesn't mean fast cast. Slow down, shorten your stroke on both your back and forward cast. A fast action rod will load up with less effort but you will lose the sweet spot if your backcast is too far. Slow down, shorten your stroke and try to learn where the rod loads up.
I keep telling my wife this, but she gets amnesia sometimes . She
is currently in love with her Sage ZXL, but it definitely has a narrow sweet
spot, and less equals more. The ZXL is advertised as a medium-fast rod, but
that's all relative. It's a rod that wants to do the work, but you can't beat it
into working harder.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I keep telling my wife this, but she gets amnesia sometimes . She
is currently in love with her Sage ZXL, but it definitely has a narrow sweet
spot, and less equals more. The ZXL is advertised as a medium-fast rod, but
that's all relative. It's a rod that wants to do the work, but you can't beat it
into working harder.
Its actually worse if you push it
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Her amnesia can usually be cured by having her watch me move the
rod tip in a 12-16 inch arc, and get better results.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Seth,

I think we need to know more about what rod and fly line you have. Both rod length and line weight. You say you can't get it to go any where. Can you explain what you are doing and how much line you have out when you cast. Its probably more a technique problem rather than a problem with the rod.

So please give us a little more information. You may be using the wrong fly line. Your rod may need to be over lined until you work things out with your casting. New casters almost always flip the rod back and forth way to fast.

Frank
Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Frank, I would say that you hit the nail on the head with your advice. I have seen beginners do extremely well with faster action rods. Wheras I have seen expereinced casters do much better with slower ones. I beleive that it has a lot to do with a persons physical nature, personality, how well they know their equipment, and what they practice with.
POP POP POP

Last edited by hardhat; 04-03-2010 at 11:37 PM.